Strange Days

Cassandra woke with a start. The week since the engagement ball had been disorienting on all levels.

On one hand, George seemed different.

Sometimes he was distant, it felt like they were miles apart in each other's arms, like he was lost in the trenches of his thoughts. Other times he was so close, so intimate, so passionate in the night. He would wake her up, with fear and lust somehow converging on his features, kissing her like he never would again. Fucking her like he needed to brand their concupiscence into her body, onto her skin.

George was confusing but he wasn't the only one.

Adrian had started paying her more attention, asking her questions about her day, her friends, her life.

They never seemed to stem from some deep rooted love. No...he was curious.

Cassandra didn't like that.

She rushed into her closet, throwing on work appropriate attire. She rifled through her sock drawer, trying to find her 'W' pin for her tie. No luck.

She eventually decided to leave it, rushing out and down the hall. "Where are you going?" Adrian asked cooly, sitting on a barstool.

Cassandra halted in her tracks with a little yelp, "You scared me!" she breathed.

"You didn't answer my question." His tone was calm.

"Oh I thought I would go into town, maybe meet some friends....Is that alright?"

His stare was burrowing under her skin, watching for any flinch, any sign of emotion, waiting on her poker face to fall. He shifted in his seat, a big smile stretching his face, "Why of course honey, have a lovely day."

Before he could say anything else she split from the apartment, racing down the cobble street, turning behind her ever so often, fearful to see him lurking around. Popping into a nearby shop, she busied herself with looking at the clothes for a moment, just in case he had followed.

Once the coast was clear, she sprinted to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. The closer she got the odder the day became. The shop was quiet, dark, and vacant.

She pulled the door open though it was already ajar. She whipped out her wand, clutching it in her fist.

Cassandra stepped over some wreckage, deeper into the shadowy building. Displays were turned over, snack boxes were opened, shifted through. The cash register was knocked to the floor, half open, with only a few shiny coins joining the heap.

"What the bloody hell happened here?" she muddled, making sure to not step on any broken glass. A loud 'crack!' buzzed before her briefly as two large wizards appeared, holding their wands up threateningly.

"Don't move!" Fred and George bellowed in harmony as Cassandra threw her hands in the air, dropping her wand.

They soon recognised the woman in front of them as they dropped their shoulders, lowering their wands. George let out a mollified sigh as he rushed her, cloaking her in his arms, pulling her close.

"Oh I'm so glad you're alright," he breathed into her hair before pulling back checking her for any sign of injury.

"What's going on?" Cassandra asked, stepping back to look between them.

"The shop was broken into last night," Fred declared.

"They got away with most of the money in the register and some merchandise," George finished.

"How much merchandise are we talking?" Cassandra inquired.

"A good bit of our Skiving Snackboxes...maybe some Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder," Fred replied.