chapter thirty

The Black family of five were sitting in their dining room in total silence. The only sounds were the occasional setting down of a glass or a fork scraping a breakfast plate. Orion was seated at the head of the long table, he was furthest from the door. Walburga was seated on one of the long ends of the table, directly to Orion's left. The three Black children sat closest to the door, farthest from their parents. Regulus sat on the same side of the table as his mother, and across from Sirius and Ophelia.

This was a very normal morning at Grimmauld Place. The entire family would eat breakfast prepared by Kreature together, in complete silence. Orion would sometimes read the newspaper, Walburga might read over his shoulder. Sometimes the children would bring books to read, but they usually would just try to eat their breakfast as fast as they could and get away from their parents.

Again, this was a very normal morning at Grimmauld Place. Until Kreature slowly pushed one of the large doors open and entered the dining room. The old house elf walked slowly towards the back end of the room, right to the head of the table.

"Master Black, Kreature has two letters for his master."

"Give them to me at once," Orion demanded.

Kreature immediately obeyed his master's orders, bowed lowly, and left the room hurriedly. Orion looked down at the two letters in his hands, flipped them over, and registered the two dark red wax seals.

Sirius and Ophelia's OWL results had come in.

Orion looked towards his wife, and they shared a look that Ophelia could only read as "we're already disappointed and we haven't even opened them yet," which made her even more scared.

Orion tears the wax seal off of one of the letters and read through. Walburga stood up from her chain and walked behind her husband, so that she could read as well. She glanced up at Sirius and then back down to the parchment.

"It is adequate," Orion gave the letter to his wife, who stared back at him, not knowing what to do with it. He harshly snapped and pointed to Sirius. Walburga quickly walked over to her son, her short heels clicking loudly in the otherwise silent room. She dropped it down in front of him before returning back to her place behind Orion.

Sirius and Ophelia both turned their heads to look at what Sirius' OWL results were.

Astronomy - O
Care of Magical Creatures - O
Charms - E
Defense Against the Dark Arts - O
Herbology - O
History of Magic - E
Magical Theory - O
Potions - O
Transfiguration - O

She smiled proudly at her brother, before looking back up to her parents. Orion pulled the letter out of the envelope and unfolded it. He and Walburga's eyes scanned through the paper. Walburga nodded a bit as she looked, as if approving the grades. Then, both parents stopped, about midway through the letter. For several moments, they stare down at the parchment with a pure hatred and deepest loathing.

"Sirius, Regulus," said Walburga. "Leave."

"What-" started Sirius, ready to protest.

"Now!" she shouted, rage filling both her face and voice.

The three children shared a confused, yet worried look but the two boys left the room nonetheless.

Orion took out his wand, muttered "muffliato," and then pointed his wand at the letter. It flew across the table and stopped right in front of Ophelia, who had stood up from her chair.

"Do you see anything wrong with this, Ophelia?" he asked, too calmly for Ophelia's liking.

She looked down at the paper.