Marquess

The next day, there has been quite the chaos in Melanie's room.

"Seriously this girl??? Just a few days ago she had a fever, now another one again?! Who said she could play in the rain!" Lilianne complained, as she placed a warm towel on her head.

Melanie was resting in bed, while everyone has become restless.

"By the way, why is this warm? Isn't she supposed to have a cold towel on her head?" Lilianne asked.

"Well, your highness... if you touch her skin..." Chloe hesitantly said. 

Lilianne gently touched Melanie's cheek. "Ow!" She said while removing her hand. 

Melanie was freezing cold. 

"Is this even normal? What did the doctor say?" Lilianne asked. 

"The doctor said she'll be fine, her mana is currently unstable to do the fever and is affecting her temperature.. your highness." Chloe lied. 

The truth is, they never called a doctor. Lilianne's arrival was unexpected, yet she wanted to care for Melanie.

"And who are you?" She glares at the twins.

The twins are quite the jealous ones, and feel intimidated by Lilianne. "We're her knights." They said.

"Oh, you must be the ones she sent me a letter about. Listen, I had to convince father to let slaves be Melanie's escorts. So if you mess this up, I will not let you go alive." Lilianne said.

The twins did not retaliate, they thought that Melanie wouldn't like if they do so.

Due to all the noise, Melanie woke up, she sits up as the towel falls off.

"What's happening?" She rubs her eyes.

"How can you get so sick?! Seriously, didn't I say we're going to meet today?" Lilianne said.

"Lilianne? Meet up? Why?" Melanie said, she was still half asleep.

"Are you kidding? Today is the return of my brother and your father from the expedition!" She replied.

Whilst massaging her temples, Melanie tries to understand what Lilianne just said. 

"Expedition? Hmm..." She says.

!!!

'The expedition where the psychotic mass murderer prince was occupied with is finally returning?!' Those words went by her head quickly.

And the day has finally come, the novel was about to begin.

In the original story, the crown prince is the first one to meet Gracey. 

Their eyes meet as the crown prince passes by the crowded and festive streets.

He doesn't mind it at first, but they meet again when he goes around town in disguise.

After spending time together, he falls inlove, and returns to her and offers her a spot as a lady in waiting.

'Oh no no.. It's already happening?!' Melanie screamed in her head.

She then passes out, with steam coming off her head.

"MELANIE!!!" Lilianne shouted, and everyone panicking.

...

"She just fainted from shock." Zyn said.

"Honestly, I understand why you'd treat her but aren't you busy? Don't you only work for close nobles?" Lilianne said.

"Uhm, well I was free today." Zyn replied, averting his eyes.

"My lady-" A maid entered.

She froze and saw the princess, high ranked doctor and intimidating twins.

"What is it?" Chloe replied.

"Lord Alais...has returned." She said.

"Goodness, I should greet him." Lilianne said.

Zyn was quite hesitant. He was close with the Marquess. Should he keep the sickness a secret?

..!

"What is this?" The marquess had arrived in Melanie's room.

He looked exactly like Melanie but older and male. He had a stoic personality, but he truly cared for his daughter.

He immediately rushed to Melanie who was in bed, "What happened?!" He said aloud.

"Well...Lord Alais, she has a fever. But.." Zyn replied.

The marquess turned back, wondering why he paused. Then he noticed the princess beside Zyn.

"My apologies, your highness. I didn't know you were present." He bowed.

Lilianne chuckled, "No worries, I understand. I'd worry about Melanie too, she gets sick too often."

"Pardon? Are you perhaps friends with my (introverted) daughter?" He questioned.

"Yes! She's the one who asked me though." She averted her gaze, "But it's not like I hate it."

"And those two?" He looks at the twins who were worried about Melanie.

Chloe cleared her throat, "My lord, those are the slaves Lady Melanie has requested to be her escorts." She said.

The Marquess stayed quiet, as he observed the two. He noticed that they were strong, but it seems that they are attached to Melanie.

Ignoring them, "Zyn is there something you wish to say?" He said.

Zyn seemed anxious. He was sweating quite a bit and averting his gaze too often.

"Can I talk to you in private? It's regarding the business from last time." Zyn said.

Marquess Alais nodded, as they left the room together.

They head to the Marquess' study.

"What is it?" The Marquess said as Zyn closes the door behind him.

"Well... It's not actually about the business from last week, I haven't started on that yet." Zyn casually said.

The Marquess sat on his office chair, "What? That's important, the Imperial Knights can't depart without your medicine."

"Yeah yeah... But this is more important. It's about Lady Melanie." He sat down with a glum expression.

'I'm sorry My Lady... The Marquess has to know this because...' Zyn thought.

"You were right. She is diagnosed with Gelidus." He said.

"...I see, how did you diagnose it?" The Marquess' sighed.

"She knew, and went to my office. She requested I tell no one. She accepted her fate and only requested pain relievers." Zyn said.

The Marquess covers his eyes with his hand, as if he was going to cry.

He held it in, "My daughter..." he mumbled.