FIFTEEN

"I'm a sucker for the way that you move"

M I L E S

'Up for round two with me?' —Jake.

It was Saturday morning and Jake's name surfaced on the screen of my phone. I smiled.

'Might want to rephrase that, it sounds sexual' —Miles

Two minutes.

Ding.

'They say you see what you want to see ;)' —Jake

I laughed to myself. Of course he would say something like that. It was so Jake.

Before I knew it, Jake and I had launched into a texting match about which baseball team was doing the best this year. I argued it was the Atlanta Braves, but he argued it was the Los Angeles Dodgers.

We were in Portland, which meant that no Major League Baseball teams represented our area, however, there was still debate about surrounding teams. I remembered bantering about this very subject with Liam when we were thirteen—before everything went spiraling. I shook my head and pushed those thoughts aside, though.

It was noon now and Jake texted, 'Be ready by two. Another surprise, raptor.'

I would've declined, but I found myself itching to see him again. Wanting. I didn't know exactly what I wanted, but it certainly included a certain chestnut-eyed boy.

I freshened up in the bathroom and popped two mints into my mouth after I brushed my teeth. Outside, it was 1:50 in the afternoon and Jake was grinning at me from the driver's seat of his car.

He rolled down the passengers seat window where I placed my elbows.

"Get in," he demanded, with sunglasses on. His smile was bright.

"Is this a kidnap attempt?," I voiced, suppressing my laughter.

He took off his sunglasses and placed them in one of the cup holders. His eyes were so—lovely.

Lovely?

"Get in, or this really is going to look like a kidnap," he said, smirking.

"You got me. I'm officially scared," I sighed, giving him a wry smile. When I opened the car door, I immediately was greeted with his consuming sunshine scent. Like lemons and honey-tea.

"Where are you taking me now?," I asked, buckling my seatbelt.

He winked and said, "You'll see."

Through our commute, he blasted music on the radio. Good music. It was the most I'd ever smiled in a long time. It was so...so easy to be around Jake. There was nothing difficult about him. It made me feel secure, hoping that some of his easiness would transfer itself to me.

With the constant paranoia I was experiencing because of Carl, gambling late nights at the club, and my situation with Liam, everything was so unsteady. Like a glass vase teetering along a thin strand of rope. But as I looked at Jake, and the way his smile glimmered, I felt like I could breathe.