Coming back home

Looking at him as soon as I woke was my daily routine. Now, whenever I saw the empty side, my heart hurt. Thinking back, even though there was distance, his presence gave me sense of security. I was safe, protected. 

I recalled last night's conversation. I was surprised how easily the "I miss you" came out of my mouth. Never in my life had I thought of saying such words. But last night, when he said it might take few more days to come back, I couldn't keep it inside me any longer. The instant embarrassment was unavoidable, but my heart felt lot lighter after saying it. I look at the empty side beside me and hoped he's come back soon.

I sighed and kicked off the covers. I did my morning routine and went to the kitchen. To my surprise, Ru was already there.

"Why are you up early today?" I asked moving towards the kettle.

"Couldn't sleep" she said, shrugging her shoulder.

"Everything okay?' I asked, sensing a bit of tension.

"Yeah" she sighed, putting her mug down, "it's just one of those days." She said, giving me a tired smile.

I nodded but stayed quiet.

"When is Avishek coming back?" she asked.

"He said it might be tomorrow" I replied, hoping I didn't sound as disappointed as I felt.

"You really miss him, don't you?" she asked.

I looked at her in surprise. I don't think I showed how much I missed him.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"It's really obvious. We took you out hoping you won't keep missing him, but no matter what we did, how much fun we had, you always ended up thinking about him" she said, smiling.

"What are you? a mind reader?" I asked, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"Oh, come on, I bet you'll skip to the door if Avishek comes home right now" she said, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, you are wrong." I said, turning my back, hiding my hot face.

She laughed but didn't say anything.

We had just had breakfast when the doorbell rang. I went to open the door to see Sagun ji.

"Sagun ji?" I said, feeling confused.

"Hi, I'm not intruding, am I?" he asked, smiling.

"Uh, no. Come in" I said, giving him way to enter but also feeling a little out of sorts with his presence.

"Vikash and I had plans today, so he told me to pick him up." He said, looking around the house.

"Oh" I said, feeling weirdly relieved.

"Nice pictures" he said, looking at the pictures on the wall.

"Thank you" I replied. The pictures were really nice.

"Sagun?" I heard Vikash calling him.

"I'm here" he called back.

"Just give me a minute okay. I'll go get changed." He said, looking at his watch.

"Sure, take your time." he chuckled.

I hovered, not knowing what to say.

I was saved by the doorbell. I went to open the door, thanking it mentally and the froze when I saw who was on the other side.

"Hi" Avishek said, grinning from ear to ear.

"You- you said it you were not coming till tomorrow." I said, still not believing he was here.

"I said, it might take time. I didn't say for sure." He laughed, coming inside and closing the door.

"I don't understand." I said, feeling confused.

"My work was done yesterday, and I wanted to surprise you" he smiled, placing his bags on the floor by the sofa at the living room.

I was about to reply when he seemed to notice something over my shoulder. I looked back to see Sagun ji looking at us.

"Oh, I forgot. This is Sagun ji. Vikash's friend" I said, looking at him.

Within a second, his body went rigid. He looked at me, and I knew, I knew he was mad.

"I remember." He said, stiffly.

Sagun Ji came forwards extending his hand, "Hi, I'm Sagun. I'm guessing you are Avishek?"

Avishek looked at the extended hand for few seconds and finally shook it.

"You guessed right. I've heard a lot about you." he said, looking at me, anger still evident in his eyes.

Why was he angry?

"All good things I hope" he said, smiling at me.

I just smiled at him and just then Vikash came.

"I'm ready. Let's go." He said, fixing his shirt button.

"Oh, you're back" he said when he noticed Avishek.

"Yeah" he said. Even Vikash did double take when Avishek said that.

Ru entered just then and noticed Avishek.

"You're back." She said, smiling.

"Yes" he said, still not speaking anything.

Okay, what is going on? Why is he angry? He was fine just few minutes ago.

Ru looked at him weirdly and then smiled suddenly.

"Aren't you guys getting late?" she asked Vikash and Sagun Ji.

"Oh yes we are. Let's go" Vikash said, moving towards the door.

Sagun ji too started to move but then stopped to say, "Seema, always pleasure meeting you." to me.

"Um" I could do just that and smiled weirdly.

Why was I getting weirded out?

They went their way, and I went to lock the door. I came back to see Ru smirking at Avishek and Avishek glaring at her.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

Both said yes and Avishek muttered, "I'm going to get freshened up."

I look at his retreating back and wondered what in the hell's name was happening. I looked at Ru.

"Don't mind him. He'll be fine. He is just sulking" she said, laughing.

"Sulking. Why?" I asked, confused. 

He was fine when he came earlier.

"Oh, you're so cute. He is going to eat you alive." She laughed, moving back to go to her room, I assumed.

What? I thought mentally, and hesitated whether I should go after him or not? Even before my mind could decide, my body decided.

Well, I was going after him, it seemed. 

Hiiiii, I'm back you guys. How was your week? I feel like I ate some of the days this week. I looked at my calendar this morning and was like, "what the"

But anyway, Avishek is angry. What do you think will happen next? Do you think I'll make him shout at Seema? make him even angrier? or completely different? Leave your comments on what you think I'm gonna make him do. (By the way, by now you must have known I don't ever write same old cliché. (wink))

Also, I saw this one notification of someone nominating my book for Wattpad Love Awards Nomination. I am so very much confused and I don't know what that is, but thank you. It's always a good feeling when your book being recognized. 

Okay, I talked a lot. That's it for today. Please vote and leave comments if you liked the chapter. 

Stay safe. Stay healthy.