Chapter 18: A Big Suspect

Khaleel emailed me a link the following night. He'd found our primary suspect, Sky Yazzie. I called Ariane and had her requisition a driver. Philippe and I spoke while I waited for them to pick me up. As I sat on the couch going over Yazzie's info on my phone, he commented with occasional insight.

"She's apparently a Jill of all Trades," I observed as I read. "Construction foreman, sous-chef, security guard. Sky Yazzie is a great many things depending on the season. She's union and drowning in debt."

"A desperate woman struggling to make ends meet." Phillippe commented from his glass prison. Green smoke swirled slowly within its jar.

"Says here, she's had multiple encounters with GCPD for drunk and disorderly conduct, and she was detained once for a public brawl where she," I sat up, surprised, "yanked a man's arms out of their sockets."

"Desperate and dangerous... if she broke the First Law, why didn't they take her head?"

"The victim was an under-dweller... the witnesses were all members of the community." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

The green smoke took the shape of a question mark.

"She crippled a demigod? You need to take backup. This woman could snap you like a twig." The smoke broke a spectral branch to illustrate his concern. "What's the local House? Maybe they can send a few enforcers to help if you don't want to bring along thrones. It's in everyone's best interest to get her off the streets."

I laughed bitterly. He wasn't wrong, but I didn't want to involve more people than I had to until I was sure I had the right person. The killer had earned themselves an execution and I didn't want to take the wrong head.

"What if she's not the killer? We can only connect her to one of the victims."

"She fits the profile... but I understand your hesitation, especially with the current political climate. However, sometimes the monster is exactly who you think it is."

"Maybe I'll give Earl a call."

My phone screen switched to alert me of an incoming call. It was Ariane.

"That was quick."

She chuckled on the other line.

"Traffic was light. We're double parked outside."

"Okay. I'll be down in a few minutes."

"Take your time. I'm gonna get out and take a look at your building." The van door slid open and then slammed closed. She was serious. "This is a really nice place. What's the rent like here in Medusa?"

"Can't be much more than it is in Kraken Island."

"It really depends on the neighborhood."

"Very true. But I got lucky. Found a generous and handsome landlord who lets me rent the place at a fraction of the price. The man's a saint."

There was a long pause on the other end.

"You own the place, don't you?"

"I might."

"Wow. You really think you're funny."

"Sometimes." I could hear her stifle a laugh.

"We're downstairs, Lieutenant Cómico."

I looked at the green smoke shaped like an hourglass." I'm on my way."

"That your new partner?" Phillipe asked once I ended the call.

"Ariane Garcia."

"You like her."

"She's smart, capable, and has a background in forensics." I pulled on the top to my specter suit and tightened the straps. Grabbing my throne dagger and sheath, I prayed I wouldn't need to use it. "I can think of only a handful of detectives with her education."