24.

Song recommendation: Your Man by Down With Webster
-

I've been at the McBride house for one week now, and the loneliness was starting to set in. This was strange to me because back home, I was alone constantly. I had nobody else living in my apartment, and the McBride Mansion was buzzing with people every day. I think this was a different kind of loneliness. I saw plenty of people, but I didn't care about them. It was isolationism. In my everyday life, I went to work to see people that I liked, as myself. Now, I was playing a part. I wasn't Ophelia Carter, these people weren't actually meeting me. Whenever I left my wing, I had to put on a mask. It was almost as if Ophelia hadn't seen the light of day in weeks. She'd been confined to her small quarter of a massive building while Arabella is sent out to live for her.

So far the case had been moving slowly. It was difficult to find a time where the entrance to the basement wasn't being watched. There wasn't a guard, but there was always someone nearby. I might have to find a different way to get down there, but it wouldn't be easy. I had decided to take Niall's advice and lay low for a little while. I spent a lot of my time in the library catching up on some reading. At one point while I was searching through the shelves, I found a book that brought back memories that hadn't crossed my mind in months. 'Flowers for Algernon.'

It reminded me of the two days I'd spent with Niall on the case in Rhode Island. I remembered being so pissed off at him. I'm not sure what had changed in the past seven months, but I didn't feel that way about him anymore. I wouldn't admit it out loud, but I would give anything to spend fourteen hours in a car with him now. He was the only person in my life that cared for me before I ever opened up. Of course he was in the earpiece all day, but I missed him. I missed being able to look up from my desk to see him frowning at his computer screen, or feeling the rush of adrenaline as he walked past my desk. I missed him physically, and the fact that I knew what he could do to me made the yearning so much more intense. That night had been so uncertain. I was drunk and I wish I hadn't been. I wanted to know what else he had up his sleeves.

I obviously needed to be railed, and I needed it to be Niall.

This feeling only got more intense while I had Daniella and Josephine visiting me.

"So tell us about Nathan." Daniella pushed as she laid on her stomach on my bed.

"Yeah you don't talk about him much." Josephine sat cross-legged beside her, braiding Dani's golden locks.

"I don't know," I looked through my closet for an outfit to wear to lunch with the girls. "I guess we're just pretty private."

"Private? You're getting married!" Dani laughed. "Tell us, is he hot?"

"Extremely." My eyes went wide.

"Do you have any pictures of him?" Jo asked.

"Um..." I thought of a way to get out of this.

'I've got this covered Phil.' Niall spoke up. 'Stall for a couple seconds.'

"I just got a new phone so I don't have any pictures right now." I shrugged.

'I'm going to text you a picture.'

I think I knew where this was going.

"That's too bad." Dani frowned.

"But he's so sexy." I fake swooned. "He's got brown hair, it's a little too long at the top and I always bug him to cut it, but secretly I don't want him to. It's really soft. And he has these wonderful blue eyes."

"Blue eyes are so pretty." Jo sighed.

"If you think normal blue eyes are nice, you should see Nathan's. They're like oceans, and they're so clear."