What is a Witch?

For such a simple question, the answer is rather complex. Every witch that you ask will give you a different answer, so I can only explain what a witch means to me.

A witch is a seeker of truth. Not the ultimate truth, for there is none, but their own unique truth. A witch aims to express themselves with the fullest authenticity. Again, this is an impossible feat, but a witch should try to discover the deepest levels of their psyche, acknowledge their shadow side as well as their light, and practise with the clearest of intentions. A witch explores the universe within and without, always in awe of the world's beauty, and feels the need to protect it.

A witch may choose to serve only themselves, or serve others. A witch might follow the old ways, or create a totally new way. A witch might believe that there are worlds beyond our own, or only believe in their own mind. Witchcraft is a true spectrum, not just a linear scale, but a matrix of possibilities limited only by one's imagination.

Okay, this is all pretty abstract. I understand that these definitions don't mean a whole lot to someone who has never been exposed to witchcraft other than in movies, TV shows, and fairy tales. The truth of the matter is that witches are so different from one another that it's virtually impossible to define them.

So I suppose a witch is simply this: a person who identifies themselves as a witch. There are plenty of people who I would call a witch, but because they themselves do not identify as a witch then they are not a witch.

✨ Calling yourself a witch is a dedication to your unique journey to find your personal truth, to connect with nature, and to work with magick. 

And to clarify, no, witchcraft is not purely evil. Witches do not worship the Devil or sacrifice babies. Most witches do not even believe the Devil exists. Witchcraft is a tool like any other; a hammer can be used to build a bookcase, but can also be used to bludgeon someone. A hammer is not evil just because it can be used for harmful acts, and witchcraft is exactly the same.

 A hammer is not evil just because it can be used for harmful acts, and witchcraft is exactly the same

Who can be a witch?

You might have noticed I've been careful to use gender-neutral and all-inclusive pronouns throughout this book. That is because, contrary to popular belief, you do not have to be a woman to be a witch. "Witch" is a gender neutral term, but if that doesn't resonate with you, you can use an alternative like "occult practitioner" or "energy worker"(1). Some male witches like to call themselves "wizards", "mages", or "warlocks" but these terms remind me too much of fantasy. It is ultimately down to personal preference, though.

Later I will discuss the somewhat exclusive nature of Wicca with its binary system of "masculine" and "feminine" dichotomy. But what you need to know right now is that witchcraft is for everyone (2). Any gender identity, any sexual orientation, any ethnic or cultural background. 

🌈 Witchcraft is all-inclusive. 🌈