twenty six

Christmas. Gretas favourite holiday. When she was little she loved getting gifts, but now she loved giving gifts and being home with her family. This year would be slightly different than the usual Potter Christmas as it was the first one with Sirius as an official member of the family.

They were all determind to make it the best Christmas possible for Sirius but before it even happening he considered it his best Christmas. What wouldve made it better was for Regulus, his brother to be there, but they knew that was far from possible.

The morning of December 25th, Greta and James woke Sirius at an incredibly early hour, dragging him downstairs to the living room where a large pile of presents sat underneath the grand, glowing tree.

"Can mum and dad just wake up already?"

'You sound like a child James, be patient." Greta snapped.

"When have I ever been patient?"

"Lily." Sirius mumbled.

The three nodded their heads, agreeing with Sirius' point.

They sat draped across the furniture for about an hour, James comlplaining the majority of the time as he hung upside down off of  a large arm chair, shifting his position every few minutes.

Finally their parents entered the living room with smiles, offering everyone a Happy Christmas before sitting down signaling for the kids to open their gifts.

They sat on the floor, passing gifts around until they all had their own piles to dive into. Greta started with one from her parents, a few beautiful new quills along with some coloured ink, somethign shes been wanting for a while since Lily showed her what is called a pen and had several different colours. They had also gifted her with new pyjamas, the makeup kit she had pointed out in Diagon Alley back in August, and a new pair of reading glasses since she had lost hers long ago and insisted it was a sign she didnt need them anymore.

She then turned to the gifts from her friends, tearing them open slowly not wanting to destroy the paper like the two maniacs infront of her. James had gotten her a new shoulder bag with her initials engrave on a small gold plaque under the flap, inside it was filled with an array of different candies, mainly caramels as those were her favourite like a 70 year old. From Sirius was a small jewlery box that looked like a book, it held a bunch of caramels of course, on the bottom in small print it read "love, Sirius. Christmas 1976". Next she opened Peters which was a box loaded with sweets. My teeth are gonna rot out of my head. Greta thought to herself.

Finally she opened Remus' which was a small box neatly wrapped in red paper, tied with a white ribbon, on the bottom was what she assumed was a book wrappe di similar fashion. She peeled back the paper and opened the book titled Dune, a note falling out of it as she skimmed the pages. She then opened the box to find a gold square locket with a picture of the marauders which was taken in that past summer. She watched the picture for a while, the five of them laughing, waving, arms thrown around each other. It was truly a beautiful gift that she would cherish forever.

She then put the note in her pocket wanting to read it while she was alone, not wanting her family to see any possible reactions she may have or risk one of the boys snatching it out of her hands, reading it themselves.

"Thank you Gret!" Sirius yelled as he admired the grooming kit she gifted him, which included everything one needs to keep their hair absolutely perfect.

"Youve been off your hair game recently so I thought this would come in handy." she joked, getting a "shut up" and scowl in return.

James hugged his sister from behind after he opened the sweatshirt she got him which had captain written down the sleeve, along with his name and number on the back, with the Gryffindor qudditch logo in gold on the front.