Cost of Freedom

Chapter One Part Six

I don't understand what's going on. I didn't win, I didn't even fight. I walk in the direction the guard points out. The pain in my ribs makes me move slowly. Another guard opens a cell door but it doesn't go into a cell. It's the entrance to where I am now. Nala walks forward as I do and glares at the guards around her. The cell door is closed behind me Nala gives another growl towards the guards who quickly back away. I leave the area only to find an angry looking slave merchant. I know this asshole, he's the one who sold me to my last master.

"Take it off."

The voice was masculine and deep it made my skin vibrate in a strange way.

"My Prince, I don't think you understand. The slave didn't win the battle, she didn't even fight. There are rules I agreed to follow. She is more than welcome to buy her freedom. But I cannot just take off her chains."

"You have two choices, both of them ends with her being released from slavery. The first choice is you can take it off of her willingly and free of charge. The second is you die and I release her myself. Pick one, I suggest you choose wisely and quickly. I won't wait long."

The merchant looked horrified for a moment. But he put a hand into his pocket and pulled out a strange looking key. He glared at me as he unlocked the collar locked around my neck. For the first time in years I'm able to move my head freely. The merchant continues to glare at me as I move my head a little. I feel ice going around my neck to heal it. I look at Nala. She's wearing the same collar as I was.

"Now her" I say pointing at Nala.

The merchant laughs at me.

"Sorry but that beast is the property of The Royal Family and you have no authority to order me around."

"Release it."

"Yes sir" The merchant gave me a death glare as he undid Nala's slave collar.

"I PAID" yelled a man being dragged to the arena "I paid for my freedom you can't do this to me. I paid you to let me go. I am not a slave anymore, I PAID."

It's my turn to glare at the merchant and Nala growled at him.

"Is that true?" I ask.

"That is none of your business. Everyone knows it costs 20,000 gold to pay for your freedom, not ten."

"Do with him as you will, I will wait for you outside."

I didn't get a chance to see The Prince's face but I snatched the key out of the merchant's hands and put a collar on him and locked it so he couldn't remove it.

"How dare you, you little bitch. Take this off of me right now."

"Quiet slave" I say.

The merchant looks at me, his eyes filled with horror. He's not used to being put into his place. He sells slaves and only cares about how much gold he can get for them. He's used to being on the other side of the collar.

"I am not a slave."

"Neither was I. But people like you raided my village and forced it on me."

"Give me my key."

"Oh you want your freedom back."

"I am free, this isn't funny you little bitch."

It's time this guy got a taste of what it's like to be a slave. I slap him across the face.

"I said be quiet. You are not to talk back to me."

"Guards take this woman and beat her."

The guards just stood there and watched, some were very shocked by what was taking place in front of them. Others didn't seem at all surprised by my actions.