Chapter Thirty Three

Newt and Eleanor had made their way down the mountain toward the collapsed building in record time. Suitcase in tow, Newt sprinted way ahead of Eleanor and she mentally kicked herself for not working out more so she could keep up with him. He immediately ran in through the doorway of the collapsed building, but before Eleanor could follow him the door gave out and rubble fell through, blocking her way in. 

"Newt!" She yelled through. No answer. "Merlins beard..."  

She pulled out her wand and cleared her way through the rubble to break through. 

"Newt?" She called out again. 

"Shh..." She heard the voice of someone unrecognizable and quickly snapped her neck towards the voice. There stood a little girl, about eight years old, dressed in shabby robes. 

"Hello there," Eleanor said gave her a smile. "I don't reckon you've seen a friend of mine?"

The little girl shook her head and Eleanor noticed her face was bleeding and she went to take a step towards her, but she immediately took two steps back. 

"Hey, it's okay. I won't hurt you. My name is Eleanor. What's yours?" She asked while crouching down to her level. The little girl paused, but looked Eleanor in the eyes. 

"Amira," It was only a whisper in which she said her name, but Eleanor heard her. 

"That's a lovely name." She smiled. "Where are your parents?"

"They're... gone." She said quietly. Eleanor was just relieved she was speaking with her. 

"I'm sorry, Amira." She said solemnly. There was a slight pause and Eleanor heard shuffling behind her and turned around to see Newt making his way across a hallway. She turned back to Amira, but she had vanished. 

"Amira?" She called out, but there was no reply. 

"Who?" Newt asked. 

"The little girl... she was just here. Didn't you see her?" She asked out of breath. 

"Er... no." Newt replied. Eleanor stood back up and brushed past Newt to head back out to the street. 

"Wait, El. What if she's still in there?" Newt asked. 

"She's scared of you. She won't come back out." Eleanor said and stopping in a desolate area. 

"Sorry," Newt murmured. 

"Not your fault dear," She assured. She took a seat on a step and motioned for Newt to come sit next to her. She grabbed his suitcase from him and opened it up to pull out two sandwiches. 

"Good thinking," Newt said while going to take one from Eleanor. 

"Oi! Get your own! These are both for me!" Eleanor giggled and waited to see his reaction. He looked sad and she couldn't let that happen, so she gave in and let him have his sandwich. They ate and chat for a minute while people watching. It was pretty deserted and when someone did stroll by, they gave them funny looks. They most likely looked out of place with how they were dressed and presented themselves. They finished their lunch and they both stood up to see where they should head to next. The couple heard some commotion coming from down the street and decided to go check it out. 

"What do you mean it's the infrastructure? There is something wreaking havoc on our streets! It must be stopped at once!" They heard a man yell. 

"It's demolishing our city!" A woman spoke up. 

"It's a curse! It has to be the zār cult!" A man said and everyone gasped and began murmuring. 

"Zār?" Eleanor questioned Newt and he held his finger up to say, I'll explain in a moment. She nodded and kept quiet.