Chapter 12- Let the studies start!

All the occupants of our table turned to see Francis smiling with a mix of tease and politeness. Behind him was Jenni, downing an apologetic expression to me.

"What are you doing here Francis?" Asked Cedric as he leaned back on his chair. Relaxed and happy to see his friend, a contrast to my bewildered expression.

"Well, we managed to escape." Francis gave a smile to his friend and sat next to him, while Jenni, in silence, came to my side. "Joshua is quite a character... I would say his talk is inclined to only one topic. Fortunately, my sister is happy to entertain anyone when it comes to the Temple affairs. She is right now showing him her private temple." He explained as he gave a sly look to Cedric's paper.

In a panic, I turned the paper, which made the princes laugh and horrified Jenni.

"Miss Lulu, I don't mind you studying alchemy." Francis turned the paper and with his hand surveyed Cedric's written words. "Actually it would make me happy to have a like-minded sun citizen with me when I studied it. Since I am allowed to study it, be sure that when you are with me no one can accuse you of studying the dark arts. We can always say you are accompanying your sister and me." He finished by looking at me with a glint in his eyes.

I was not aware the Prince of the Sun Empire could study the dark arts, though it wasn't completely bonkers. He would have had contact with it whenever he went to the Moon Empire, which meant Cedric probably also learned the Temple teachings. Still, I was not sure if I liked that the Fox prince knew about my studies. It seemed, however, that only me had those worries, as Cedric and Jenni, whom I sure brought him here, were pretty comfortable with him knowing. Wolff looked neutral, just observing everyone and everything.

There was an immeasurable silence at the table, while Prince Francis glanced at me, waiting for my comment on this. Instead, sensing my reluctance the Moon prince intervened using another topic to distract us from our impasse.

"Ah what happened to that aide?" Asked Cedric poking Francis on his arm and causing the Sun prince to turn his focus to him.

At that question, Jenni gave a sharp look at prince Francis. I kicked Cedric in the knee for babbling, which made him look at me with surprise and shock.

"It is taken care of. I had a talk with Lord Joshua about it." Responded Francis serious.

"What is this about Lord Joshua's aide?" Jenni's face was made of great curiosity and concern, as she looked around the table to see who would answer her.

"Nothing. He was rude to prince Cedric." I said coming up with the first half-truth that I could think of. Jenni didn't seem completely convinced by my words. But since she couldn't insist with two royal princes watching, she let it go. For now.

"So what have you decided for the study plan Cedric?" Francis gave a cheerful smile to his friend and fellow prince. His glance away from Jenni's inquisitive eyes.

"As I told before to Lulu, only one afternoon wouldn't be enough to learn the basics. Even for you, though you have a heads up since you had some lessons in the Moon Empire. We would have to meet at least one afternoon every two weeks. Once a week would be best." Answered Cedric in a matter of fact way and looking at me with a cheerful disposition.

"That would be difficult with a fool following me around all the time and an overprotective Duke." I exasperated with my arms in the air. That idiot would follow me even to the dark Lands of the Beasts. Also if he found about the alchemy studies even with the Francis excuse, he would blab to the Temple. Something none of us would want...

"Lulu, I am sure we can find a way to convince father..." started Jenni with a meek, yet decisive voice, which made our heads turn to see her. "Father is not against me visiting Prince Francis. I can just tell that your highness has decided to help me on some of my studies and that I need some chaperone." She glanced to Francis before turning her blue innocent eyes to me and taking my hand. It was cold and hard.

"That seems a good idea. I am sure the Duke would approve it since he wouldn't want you to be alone lady Jennifer. I can make the request official as well." Francis's voice had some joy to it.

Everyone seemed to believe in Jenni's idea, however, I was not sure. With anyone else, this reasoning may have worked, but with Gobbie, the drama queen? Not so sure... my bet was on a tantrum.

"I will talk with Father as well and convince him." Reassured Jenni with a shy smile, but a conviction on those eyes.

Well... there was not much choice anyway so I just accepted Jenni's help and idea, hopping for the best.

"Missing is that Lord Joshua... Maybe we can scare him off... there is a nightmare stone uncle told me about..." Trailed off Cedric, his mischievous look to Wolff telling more than his words. Wolff gave a small nod in recognition as well, ready to do whatever his prince had in mind.

Their looks were, however, caught by Francis who glanced at them with a disapproving expression.

"I would appreciate if we don't go scare off my subjects, especially because as far as I know it wouldn't work. He is too much of a...."

"Fool?"

"No..." Francis answered right away, but I noticed he didn't provide another description as well. Fool must be the right word.

"Don't worry." Interrupted Jenni with a sweet voice. "He will be occupied in the following months. I may have suggested the many temples that exist at the capital and its numerous holy texts. Besides, her highness, princess Odette, had the slight misfortune of saying she found them of great interest, which prompted Lord Joshua on this laborious quest to see them all and to promise to bring his findings and discuss them with her. So I suspect this grand quest will keep him busy for some time." Added Jenni, who gave me a small and shy grin, while I gasped in surprise.

I had never thought of Jenni to be so shrewd. I was glad for that but surprised nonetheless.

"That is great Jenni!" I smiled with broad strokes as I realized the fool was out of the picture. For now at least.

"Then it is decided. Let's here meet to study every week, if possible. Also, we will help you find that lady Louise of yours, Lady Lucreatia. I am really curious to know who is this lady!!" Declared Francis with a grand voice.

The table filled with excitement, which soon died when the scribes reminded everyone of the sacred duty of the Royal Library visitors, silence. Nevertheless, the afternoon passed with studies of alchemy, hailed by Cedric with help of Wolff and with the search of the missing Lady Louise, which Jenni readily helped by scouting the books given by the scribes.

I was finally on track!!

So what did you think of this chapter? Now we have a study group! Also, Joshua is off to find the many temples of the capital! A fitting distraction for him!

Hope you stay tuned for the next chapter! In that chapter, we have the point of view of someone else... Can you guess who?

-----//-------

Some suggestions while you wait for the next chapter:

My blog: http://andreasousa.com

My podcast (has the blog chapters): A writer's journey (on Spotify)

Do you like that I give suggestions? I always feel this space is to connect with my readers and let them know about other things that they may enjoy... I hope is not too much XD

---//----------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!