Chapter Twenty-Four

Gandalf paused his pacing, his eyes drawing upward and towards the sunlight pouring from the many windows above us.

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening," he muttered, continuing to walk across the Great Hall.

"If Sauron had the Ring, we would know it," Aragorn replied quickly, his back facing me as he looked upon one of the intricate statues of kings of old. 

Gandalf stopped to stare at Aragorn. "It's only a matter of time," he argued. "He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor, our enemy is regrouping."

"Let him stay there! Let him rot!" Gimli growled, and I glanced over to see him purse his lips as a ring of smoke came from his pipe. He had positioned himself on the now-deceased Steward's chair long before this conversation as a joke of sorts, one which we were all too tired to rebuke. "Why should we care?" He placed the pipe back in between his teeth, ignoring the cold look Gandalf was giving him. 

"Because ten thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom," Gandalf replied.

The playful air about Gimli diminished as he sighed, sending more smoke into the air. The words were harsh and almost impossible to imagine. How is it possible for there to be an army so big? How is it possible for two small hobbits to sneak past?

Gandalf turned away, but not before I caught the now sorrowful look in his eyes. "I've sent him to his death."

It was now when Aragorn finally uncrossed his arms and turned around. "No," he pushed, "there's still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that."

"How?" Gimli asked doubtfully.

"We draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands," Aragorn explained, now peering over Gandalf's shoulder to look at us. "Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

"You're joking!" I burst in.

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms," Eomer replied, walking forward.

"Not for ourselves. But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us," Aragorn responded, glancing back at Gandalf. "Keep him blind to all else that moves."

Legolas stood a bit straighter beside me. "A diversion," he clarified.

"Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?" Gimli laughed as he elbowed me, causing me to wince when he hit some painful, forming bruises.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait," Gandalf whispered, turning back to Aragorn.

"Oh, I think he will," Aragorn replied with a slight smile before he turned to Eomer. "I need as many able-bodied Rohirrin you are able to muster. We ride at dawn."

Eomer bowed slightly and turned to walk out. 

"We should get ready ourselves," Aragorn said to us and found myself staring at the dark bags beneath his eyes. 

He was exhausted.

We all were.

"And get some rest if you're able," I added. "Just because you're taking charge of this place doesn't mean you should overwork yourself."

"You sound like my mother," Gimli teased.

"Someone has to watch out for you all," I laughed.

Aragorn nodded, a soft smile on his lips. "She's right. Get some rest, get yourselves ready. We'll see one another tonight." He gave a nod to us before he turned and left, Gandalf following closely alongside.

I watched them leave, seeing Legolas turn to face me in the corner of my eye. He held his arm out for me, the faintest bit of a smile upon his lips. "Walk with me?"

I placed my arm in his, sending him a small nod as he lead me further into the palace. We were quiet for a long while, just taking time to enjoy each other's company.

"Any reason, in particular, you wanted to walk with me?" I eventually asked.

Legolas hummed. "I just wanted to be with you for a moment, Arwenamin," he replied. 

I looked away, an all too familiar, giddy feeling rising in my chest.

But then my mind began to wander, and I found myself dwelling on the thoughts from the night before. I glanced back up at Legolas, which caused him to look down at me.

"We need to talk," I muttered, gently pulling him to a stop.

He turned to face me, blue eyes staring expectingly as he took my hands in his.

I took a breath. "We need to talk about us. Where will this lead? Will we be able to continue like... like this?" I asked, squeezing his fingers. "I just worry because you're a prince, and I... I'm no princess."

Legolas paused, searching my face as he seemed to come up with a suitable answer.

"My title shouldn't play a role in this," he finally said, "I left that behind me a long time ago. And even if I still had it, I would give it up for you if need be." He took another moment before he continued, "And I'm willing to give this—give us—a chance, but only if you're willing. I will not force your hand."

I wetted my lips. "I want to try. I really do."

And before I had a moment to gather my thoughts, I felt Legolas's hand reach up behind my neck as he pressed a kiss against my forehead. "Alright then," he muttered softly, grabbing my hands again.

I was certain a bit of my soul had left my body completely as my own hands instinctively tightened their grip around his. 

And I wondered if someone was capable of dying from happiness.