65 // Commoners

A/N: I'm gonna try something.

Every time there's a fictional song in a chapter, I'm gonna look for a song that has a similar vibe and I'm gonna try to use some less popular songs too. I'll link some above, and at some point, I'll put them in a Spotify playlist too ;)

I'll put the songs on the bottom!

CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE
Commoners
•••

CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVECommoners•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

Nolan had fallen asleep, and I was sitting here against his headboard, next to him, trying to do the same, but my brain just wouldn't allow me.

First, my head started filling up with song lyrics. Then I started making melodies. Then I thought about what coming out would be like. Then I thought about whether or not I should continue making that album for the label. And then it was the song I was supposed to write for Nolan's movie, which deadline had probably already passed. Then my brain started making up ways to tell the world we were together. Then I started replaying memories with old friends.

The cycle kept repeating itself. Again and again, and it wouldn't stop. Faster and faster, and it wouldn't stop. At one point I was afraid my brain had found light levels of speed, to the point where what felt like ten minutes for me, would be ten years in real life, like the theory of relativity.

Maybe I wasn't too far off, because five minutes later, the light hit Nolan's face through a gap in the curtains. He stirred around, and his hand found my arm. His eyes fluttered open, revealing the pale green color I'd grown to love.

"'Morning," he said, a slight rasp in his voice from just waking up. "Did you manage to get some rest?"

"Yeah," I answered, not completely lying since I did feel somewhat rested. I just hadn't been able to fall asleep.

"Feeling better now?"

I did feel better, so I nodded. Maybe it wasn't all bad. Feeling fine was a good thing. "What are we doing today?" I asked, moving closer to him slightly. He put his hand on top of mine as he laid his head down on my lap, looking up at me with drowsy eyes.

"I don't know," he said. "Do you have anything to do?"

"Thinking about that album," I said. I ran a hand through his hair. It was soft and it somehow made me feel more grounded. Like it brought me back to earth.

"Maybe I should meet up with Gen. She can help me with choosing and pitching and stuff. And I'll need you too, so you'll come with me."