Chapter 19

Isabella's POV

I'm alone again. Domenico came and took Jade away again and Nadia disappeared a while ago.

I'm bored out of my mind so I decided to head downstairs. The soft pitter-patter of my feet on the hard marble floors are the only sounds I hear. There's no low sound of a television in the background or any other sounds that signify an actual person lives here and that's kind of sad. It's dull, lifeless, and depressing.

I observe the place more thoroughly than I did before. The ceilings are high and diamond incrusted chandeliers hang down from them. In the living room, the floors are decorated with vibrant high-quality rugs that accentuate the surrounding furniture. Everything here is so above me I feel like I'll taint anything that I touch so I simply don't.

There's another type of living area, but this one looks like it's actually meant to be used. I'll never understand the point of having two. It seems like a dumb attempt at showing off your wealth if you ask me. 

It's snowing outside. As far as I can see the ground is covered in thick white snow. When did this happen?

Leaving the sitting area, I head to the sliding doors that lead to the back area of the house. I don't open the doors I just stand here and watch the snowfall. It's beautiful.

The bolt lock on the door clicks and a gust of cold air comes through when it opens. Nikolai walks in and takes off his jacket, he doesn't see me at first but when he does he pauses before moving towards me. I don't breathe or blink I just stand there.

"How are you?" He asks. There isn't much sincerity in his voice, but at least he asked. It's the thought that counts, right?

"I'm fine. Shaken up, but fine." I reply talking down to my feet. I can't bring myself to look him in the eye.

His hands come into sight before he's lifting my chin with his finger so I'm looking directly at him. "I want you to look at me."

I'm frozen in place, I blink when he starts to speak again. "Am I making you nervous? If I am you only need to say."

"Oh no, I'm not nervous, I'm scared, terrified actually. I don't know who you are, or what you want, and you're a psycho and a freaking sociopath who kidnapped and exported me to another country like a crate of cargo. So yes I might be a little bit nervous." I tell him. I'm done holding in my thoughts and feelings inside because if I don't let them out they along with him will eat me alive.

"Come with me." He says leading me somewhere I haven't been before.

Not paying attention I run slap into his back. I hit him so hard I'm the one who's falling, I brace myself for the impact but it doesn't come. His reflexes are quick. He catches me around the wrist.

"You should be more careful and watch where you're going." He quickly lets go of his hold.

I scoff and roll my eyes. He doesn't like that. I can tell by the way his eyes narrow and his right hand twitches.

He wants to spank me.

I look away, after being stared into submission. I'll never win with him.

He takes out a key from his pocket and unlocks the glossy dark wooden doors he leads me to and pushes them open.

"This is my office. Come in and take a seat." He says going around the desk to the chair that no doubt was made specifically for him. It's large and cushioned and when he sits down in it molds around him like a king sitting on his throne.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask him still standing up, ignoring his order to take a seat.

"Will you listen for once and just sit down!" The patience in his tone from earlier is gone.

Note to self: He doesn't like to be disobeyed. Mentally I slap myself for not noting this after the club incident. I'm an idiot.

I don't want to push my luck so quickly I scurry over to the smaller chair on the opposite side of the desk and take a seat. Only after my skin comes in contact with the wood of the chair do I realize how cold it is in here. Almost instantly I get chill bumps all over. It's easier to blame it on the cold but honestly, I've had chill bumps since I got here.

"Will you tell me why you brought me here now?"

"Why I brought you where, here to Russia or into my office?"

"Both."

"Really? You witnessed a crime and while there isn't anything you or anyone else could've done about it going through the police process was simply unnecessary." He says as if the answer should've been obvious.

"And here? Why did you bring me into your office? Are you finally going to put me out of my misery?" I snap at him though unintentionally.

He smirks when I ask, "And stain my expensive vintage carpets? If I wanted you dead I'd have no problem carrying out the act, I brought you here to answer some of your questions. So, what do you want to know."

I don't doubt that what he's saying is true. I bet that if he really wanted to kill me what was stopping him from doing it right after he killed that other guy?

"I want to know everything. I know that I won't like what you have to say, but I want to know anyway."

"Are you familiar with the bratva?" He asks me as if criminal activity is common knowledge.

"I mean, I read newspapers and online articles but-" I stop mid-sentence and look up at him and he's grinning like a Cheshire cat. "Great you work for the mafia? That would explain the money and the murder." I almost laugh at how naive I've been.

"That's an adorable assumption, but I don't "work" for anybody I run the operation. Everybody works for me."

"Great. That's just great. I was right about you being insane."

"But darling we're all a little insane. All the best people are."

I already know the answer but I decided to push my luck. "Is there any chance that you would let me go? Maybe?"

"If I let you go right now you'd be dead within the hour. You were seen with me so now my enemies are your enemies. I'd get used to living life here if I were you."

"What? You can't- I can't- I was in college, I had a life!" I argue hoping for something, anything!

"And you'll still have a life. A better one." This is infuriating. I hate being helpless but there's literally nothing I can do. "I rule here in Russia. I'm the king and you doll get to become my queen. There's no greater honor than that."

An honor? An honor for who?

I'm sick of this but I might as well quit fighting the situation and accept it for what it is. I'm not going to be free anytime soon. "Fine." I'm annoyed and conflicted.

Is this the right decision?

"You're making the right decision," he says as if reading my mind, "by my side not a soul on the planet can lay harm to you. No one."

No one at all huh? Well I guess there are advantages to agreeing to be a Bratva Queen.