•19•

Aiyana Valentino

This is my first time attending the annual gala. Every year I would get invited alongside my dad but never did I actually thought about attending those lame parties.

The air was always stiff, people forcing smiles and faking niceties everywhere. I hated being like that, though right now I don't seem to have any other choice.

We settled in the gigantic matte black limo, I noticed Amren's eyes shifting to mine every few seconds, albeit he would shift them back to his phone or the passing scenery when I turn my head slightly, catching him red in the act.

He sees my stiff anxious form, fingers playing with each other nervously in my lap, so he covers my hands with his warm one. I look up into his eyes questioningly, doubtful of the startling gesture.

"Tonight, every mafia family would be attending the gala. We need to be a united front; that means acting all loved up like husband and wife" He explains monotonously, almost robot-like and I sheepishly nod.

"Also, everyone there is dangerous and has something up their sleeves. Don't leave my side, at all" He instructs and I nod further along in comprehension. "Don't worry " I wanted to say, I suck at socializing as fish suck at flying.

Shortly, we reach the gala and it's safe to say the money spent funding this one time event, could singlehandedly support a miniature city.

The car comes to a stop, Amren gets out first and proceeds to open the door at my side before offering his hand to me. I gladly but nervously accept, gulping down at the thought of many people being here. Many people that hated us, that wanted us dead.

We walk inside, following the red carpeted floors until we step into the fanciest hall I'd ever seen.

Huge multiple chandeliers hung from the high ceilings, casting an air of sophistication throughout the well lit room. Large, undoubtedly costly paintings decorated the wallpapered walls, adding more elegance to the life of it.

People were scattered everywhere, some gathered up in corners exchanging light conversation, while others preferred the company of alcohol at the bar, meanwhile some were already on the dance floor enjoying the fine taste of classical music.

Upon entering, Amren's hand rests on my waist and at first I stiffen but then relax into his touch, keeping in mind that out of everyone in the room he's the only person here I could depend at; the one I would trust blindly; the only one who has my back no questions asked.

We walk further in the room, and then it starts, all the boring business talk about turfs and shipments. This is why I never attended in the past; no matter how far they go off they always circle back into the same boring topics.

"I'm bored, I'm going to the bar" I whisper in his ear, letting him know that any more someone mentions delayed shipments, or anything related to the inflation, I wasn't going to survive the night.

I needed alcohol to ease through the atmosphere, or to get too drunk to mind anything about it. He nods hesitantly, his eyes widening in a threatening way. Before he could say anything, I kiss his cheek and slip away fast, without gauging his reaction.

As I'm walking towards the bar, my back to him, I close my eyes groggily and groan. Why do I have to be extremely stupid ? I'm mentally slapping myself. Well, if nothing's going to fix it, a couple shots of tequila won't worsen the situation.

I take a seat on the high stool, resting my elbows on the counter in front of me. The bartender senses the presence of a beggar, and while wiping a glass down with a cloth, he nods his head at me, asking for my order.
"Hennessy. Neat." I can smell his surprise from the way his eyes widened due to the fact that Hennessy is a strong drink. But that's what I exactly needed right now, something strong enough to make all the tension slip away, my consciousness following suit.

•••

A/N:
Who's a social butterfly
and who's a social wasp? Lol.

For more updates
please vote and comment ❣️