𝟎𝟎𝟗 | THE SURVIVAL CRITERIA

YOU SPEND LONG enough around someone and you learn to trust them. Trust had never been something Mya was good at - if your own family can hurt you, what's to stop anyone else? - but trust in strangers was something she'd had to learn with the world like this and she had trust in Glenn. That didn't mean she had much faith in his plan though. Perhaps hanging around an alley, with the dead roaming the streets in a morbid parade, wasn't her favourite way to spend an afternoon, but the bag of guns Rick had left in the street had to be worth it. Glenn was tough, Mya had known that from the get go and he had Rick, Daryl and T-Dog to protect him. She just wished she didn't feel like a sitting duck in comparison.

"Hey, just remember we need you alive more than we need weapons." Mya told Glenn, before he could go sprinting off. She worried, more than the rest of the group seemed to when they sent him into Atlanta over and over. "Don't die."

Glenn was nervous, she could tell, but he appeared glad to have someone backing him up, "Oh, I'm sure this'll be a breeze." He remarked, eyes frantically scanning what could be seen of the street from the alley they were in.

Loading a bolt into his crossbow, Daryl grunted, "You got some balls for a China man." 

"I'm Korean." Glenn corrected him, visibly frustrated before running out into the street. Mya wished Daryl would think before he spoke, but the odds weren't exactly favourable.

She cast a glance towards Daryl sympathetically. They hadn't found Merle on the way here either, nobody wanted to tell him how low the chances of finding him were, she was sure he knew already. "I know it doesn't count for much, but I'm sorry about your brother." Mya acknowledged, knowing the blame he placed on the group for Merle's disappearance, "I'm not Merle's biggest fan, but nobody deserves to lose a hand, especially like that."

Daryl didn't offer much of a response back, but she hadn't really expected him to, "He'll be fine, he's tough." He reiterated, holding onto those same beliefs.

Still trying to keep her focus on the street ahead, although Glenn had ran off to the left - out of sight - Mya nodded. "Yeah, tough seems to be the survival criteria nowadays." She paused. Merle was tough, Rick was tough, even Dale could handle a rifle. She wasn't sure she particularly fit in with the rest of her group. "Turns out working in a department store doesn't prepare you for something like this."

He scoffed in response, "That's what you did before all this? Think I'd rather deliver pizzas." He commented, reminding her of Glenn's job. How does someone go from pizza delivery to feeding a group of survivors?

Mya rolled her eyes, but she didn't entirely disagree. Retail hadn't been her go to idea of a job, but managing higher education and a baby didn't sound ideal. "Money's money. I had to provide, not that it matters now." She pointed out, "What about you? What did you do?"