EPILOGUE

EIGHT MONTHS LATER.

july 29th, 2021
7:12 pm

SUNDAY SAT at a circular black table a few feet from the middle of the Barclays Center, a little anxious at how many people were around her.

The stage was further up in the arena, furnished with a podium and the words 'DRAFT 21' next to the red, blue and white NBA symbol.

The NBA Draft would be starting any minute now and Sunday was both nervous and excited for the outcome of tonight for Brandon.

The couple had talked about which possible teams would want him and Sunday had secretly kept up with several but different NBA mock drafts. All of them said that Brandon would be the middle of the first round based on his athleticism and Sunday had seen no cause to think otherwise.

She adjusted the white t-shirt she had on that read out the hashtag #LLTC5 in black above a picture of Terrence Clarke, then glanced around the table.

Sitting also at the table, was Brandon and his family all wearing the same shirt: his parents, his younger sister and Kylah who was standing a few feet away and talking and laughing with a taller girl with sandy brown curly hair, a girl with long brown locs and blue butterflies tattooed on her hand and her boyfriend's sister, Te'a Cooper.

Brandon reached over and laced their fingers together, "You should go over there."

Sunday gave him a confused look, "And do what exactly?"

"Talk to them. Duh."

Sunday shook her head at the suggestion, Kylah still gave her somewhat of a vibe that she didn't like her and Sunday wasn't the type to kiss ass even if it was for the guy she loved.

So Sunday shifted a little in her seat when the daintiest of touches could be felt on her shoulder.

Kylah had a kind smile, "It's Sunday, right?"

Sunday blinked, "Yeah."

"Do you wanna join us?" Kylah jutted her thumb behind her to where the trio of girls stood laughing with each other.

"Um..." Sunday trailed off.

Before she could continue, Brandon was helping her up from the chair, "Yeah, she does."

Sunday shot Brandon a horrified look and he leaned in close to her ear to whisper, "Go make friends."

Kylah smiled a little wider and led Sunday back over to the group, "Guys, this is B.J's girlfriend, Sunday."

The girl with the locs stuck her hand out to Sunday with a faint smile, "I'm Ayoluwa, but most people call me Ayo."

The one with the sandy brown hair and a ring on her left hand, offered up the next smile, "Noel."

Te'a smiled and was about to say her name but in doing her research, Sunday had looked a few players in WNBA as well, "Te'a Cooper, right? L.A Sparks? I've seen a few of your highlights."

Te'a beamed and then nodded a little, "We were just talking about how y'all are basketball wives."

Sunday snickered a little, "You're all dating someone in the draft? Really?"

Noel laughed, "Yeah. That's kinda how we all know each other. We were gonna make a group chat called Basketball Wives Part Two."

"I'm Evelyn. I called it." Ayoluwa chimed in with a soft flip of her locs.

"I'm Tami." Sunday and Kylah said at the same time, causing the two girls to look towards each other and giggle, a little childlike.

The lights dimmed a little, causing each girl to tilt their head back.

"Ky, are you coming back to Rife's table with me?" Te'a asked.

Kylah turned to look at Sunday, "Are you good alone?"

Sunday shrugged, "Yeah, sure."

Sunday watched as each girl went off to different tables, each with a different boy's name on the placard before making her way back to Brandon's table.

Sunday dusted off her shirt as she sat down in her previous seat.

An announcer spoke over the announcement system, "Welcome to the 2021 NBA Draft. Please welcome your NBA Commissioner, Adam Silver."

A bald caucasian man with circular glasses, in a tight navy blue suit and black hard bottom shoes, walked up to the podium in the middle of the stage, while everyone in the crowd gave him polite applause.

He tapped the microphone causing a bit of feedback, "I would like to start this particular draft with a moment of silence for a young talent hailing from Boston, Terrence Clarke."

Sunday immediately grabbed Brandon's hand at the commissioner saying the name of their dear departed friend.

Brandon squeezed her palm back and the entire room grew quiet and somber as a picture of Terrence smiling flashed on the screen behind the commissioner.

After thirty more seconds, Adam Silver cleared his throat then look down at the podium, "With the first round pick, the Orlando Magic select Jalen Green from the G-League Ignite!"

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Noel grinning at a tall boy with loose curly hair who was hugging an Asian woman before going onto the stage.

Beside her, Sunday could hear Brandon let out a small sigh and she leaned over to mutter, "That suit is suffocating him."

Sunday nodded at the commissioner causing Brandon to chuckle and whisper back, "It is choking him huh, ma?"

Sunday snickered a little as the unthinkable happened.

Adam Silver coughed once more, "The Houston Rockets select Brandon Boston Jr. from the university of Kentucky as the number three pick."

Both Sunday's eyes and smile widened as she watched her boyfriend rise to hug his parents simultaneously before making his way to the stage and to the start of his dreams.

NOTE FROM KY
the end🙂
I'm working on a sequel bc I love Sunny and B.J lmao I'll post an author's note when the first two chapters are ready
vote & comment, porfa!