1.21: The Imperius Curse

{15th of September, 1994}

Madam Pomfrey sterilized and bandaged Cassiopeia's hands rapidly, as Nico remained by the side, waiting to return to their room. After a few hours, there were just 5 minutes till curfew, so the two decided to miss dinner and walk back. Following the awkward trip back to the dorm, they were welcomed by a perplexed Nathaniel, who looked down at her hands and immediately understood. After a lengthy day, they decided to go to bed early. Nico and Cassiopeia had quietly decided not to discuss the previous occurrences, but the other never left their minds as they drifted off to sleep.

Early next morning, Cassiopeia got up, dressed in the pale dawn light, left the dormitory without waking the boy's, and went down to the deserted common room. Here she took a piece of parchment from the table upon which was on her astronomy homework still lay and wrote the following letter:

Bonjour petit frère,

Comment vas-tu? J'ai passé un moment spectaculaire jusqu'à présent à Poudlard. Le troisième jour, j'ai fait dresser les cheveux de Serdaigle comme ces dieux moldus et j'ai fait des sous-vêtements de Gryffondor sur la couche extérieure sans qu'il sache qu'il marchait dans les couloirs toute la journée avant de s'en rendre compte. Je ne peux pas participer au Tournoi des Trois Sorciers car je ne suis pas assez vieux, mais si je l'étais, je serais totalement là. Oncle s'assurant probablement que ta mère va bien ou quelque chose comme ça ? J'aimerais que tu sois là aussi, dans quelques années tu pourras jaunir le slip de snivellus et lui faire pousser de mauvaises ailes comme je l'ai fait en 2ème année.

'Pour maintenant et pour toute l'éternité

L'amour,
C.A.B

She then climbed out of the portrait hole, up through the silent castle, and finally arriving at the Owlery, which was situated at the top of West Tower.

The Owlery was a circular stone room, rather cold and drafty because none of the windows had glass in them. The floor was entirely covered in straw, owl droppings, and the regurgitated skeletons of mice and voles. Hundreds upon hundreds of owls of every breed imaginable were nestled here on perches that rose right up to the top of the tower, nearly all of them asleep, though here and there around amber eye glared at Cassiopeia, which we proceed to stick her tongue out. He spotted R.A.B nestled between a barn owl and a tawny, and hurried over to her, sliding a little on the dropping-strewn floor.

It took her a while to persuade him to wake up and then to look at her, as he kept shuffling around on her perch, showing her his tail. In the end, it was Cassiopeia suggesting she might be too tired, and that perhaps she would ask little potter to borrow Hedwig, which made him stick out his leg and allow her to tie the letter to it.

"Make sure he's alright as well, okay?" Cassiopeia said, stroking his back as she carried him on her arm to one of the holes in the wall.