Chapter 9.5 (Part 1)

"She's wonderful with children, isn't she?" Sally said, watching Jane frolicking with the boys a few minutes later.

   Dragging his gaze away from Jane, Tyler focused on Amy, who sa playing with a plastic spoon and babbling contentedly to herself on his knee. "Yes, Jane's very good with children."

   "Tom is obviously crazy about her. He completely forgets to be shy when Jane's around."

   "Shy is hardly a word in Jane Doherty's vocabulary," Dave commented dryly.

   "How is he doing with the new nanny? Sally asked.

   Tyler steadied Amy when she climbed to her feet on his lap, holding on to his head for balance. "Tara's changed her approach with him, and it's working. He's communicating much better with her."

   He didn't add that Jane had helped there, too.

   "I'm glad you and Jane have been seeing each other," Sally confided, igniting her husband's meaningful throat clearing. "You make such a nice couple."

   "I suppose you've been talking to Mother," Tyler said in resignation.

   His cousin giggled. "Are you kidding? Everyone's talking about you and Jane."

   "Sally," Dave murmured.

   She looked at him with a shrug. "Well, they are."

   Tyler recovered enough voice to ask, "Just what is 'everyone' saying?"

   Sally frowned a little, as if she had suddenly become aware that Tyler wasn't pleased. "Uh—not much. Just—well, everyone knows you've been going out on Friday nights—"

   So much for those long drives to out-of-town night-spots, Tyler thought grimly.

   "...and that you've had lunch at her house several times," sally added ingenuously.

   Tyler winced when Amy grabbed his hair with both hands and pulled, but his reaction was due more to his cousin's words than to his daughter's actions. He reached up to disentangle her fingers. "Where did you hear that?"

   "About your lunches? You know Moira Chaps lives across the street from Jane, don't you?"

   Tyler hadn't known his visits had been monitored. He scowled, uncomfortable with the thought that someone had been watching her house while he was there feeling safely alone with her.

   The crowded park suddenly looked different to him, making him feel as though everyone was watching him, speculating about him and Jane. He wondered how many people were watching Jane romping with Tom and picturing her as a stepmom. That was something he hadn't even considered, he assured himself. He was no more interested in remarrying now than he had been before he'd started seeing Jane. He doubted that she was interested, herself.

   "Now, Tyler, don't start getting all freaked out," Sally chided him. "You know you can't sneeze in this town without everyone knowing about it. They're going to talk about you, whatever you do, so you might as well accept it."

   "I don't have to like it," he grumbled.

   "No. I hated it that so many people love spreading unfounded rumors about my brother. But just when I had convinced myself I wanted to move away, I was reminded of all the good things about living here. The low crime rate, the good schools, the way the same poet who love to gossip about you will line up to help if you're in trouble."

   "And I thought you decided to stay in Honoria only because I lived here," Dave said.

   She smiled at him. "That was a definite incentive."