Chapter 10.1 (Part 1)

The shadows had grown long and the sky was beginning to darken by the time the picnic ended. They had finished up, having devoured the cupcakes Jane had hastily baked after sally invited her to join them. On the other side of the table, Blaire was asleep in Sally's arms, while Jay leaned comfortably against his father. Amy was beginning to doze against Tyler's chest, and Tom, worn out from running and playing, had crawled into Jane's lap.

   Listening to something Sally was saying, Jane looped her arms loosely around Tom and rested her cheek against his damp hair. He smelled of little boy, she found herself thinking, an interesting combination of heat and sweetness. It was a nice feeling to sit with this close family, cradling a contentedly drowsy child in her lap. It made her compare her own family again. When she was young, her parents never had the time nor interest in taking her to picnics or any kind of family outing. They were too busy with their fights to care about her.

   She glanced at Tyler, whose strong arms so easily supported his little daughter. It had been interesting watching him in this different mode. Not as her date or lover—the word still evokes sensual memories in the back of her mind. But as a devoted father. He seemed so comfortable in that role. She'd watched him matter-of-factly feed Amy, entertain her, change her diaper, wipe her hands before and after her cupcake, his movements so confident, his big hands so gentle. She'd watched him roughhouse with Tom, laughing and tickling, tossing the little boy in the air and then catching him securely.

   Loving father. Dutiful son. Caring friend. Passionate lover. Jane has seen Tyler in all those roles now, but she knew there was a part of himself he kept hidden from her. From everyone, perhaps? Even as she looked at him then, she saw shadows lurking deep within him that she didn't yet understand.

   She had so much still to learn about him. They hadn't talked about his marriage or the life he had led in Washington. She still didn't know exactly why he had moved back to Honoria, or what he planned for the future. She didn't know if he had any thoughts of including her in that future. She hadn't forgotten that it had been Sally, not Tyler, who had invited her to join them here.

   Glancing her way, he caught her studying him. He gave her a smile that revealed nothing of his thoughts. "I think we've worn the kids out," he announced to all the adults.

   Dave groaned. "I thought it was the other was around."

   Sally smiled. "As much as I've enjoyed this, it probably is time to call it a day."

   "Not yet," Tom protested. "I want to go down the slide again. I'm not tired." But even as he spoke, he yawned and rubbed his eyes.

   Jane chuckled and gave him a hug. "You never get tired, do you, Tommy?"

   He grinned sheepishly up at her. "Well...maybe a little."

   "We'll come back to the park another time, son," Tyler said. "The slide will still be here."

   Tom turned to his father. "Can Jane come, too?"

   "Of course she can." Tyler replied.

   Even though Tyler had answered without hesitation, Jane felt a slight frisson of uneasiness go through her. There'd been something in his voice...