Chapter 13

The room spun with Lorraine when her eyes fluttered open slowly. Her head ached badly and as an instinct her hand ran to it.
An acid smell filled her nostrils and she saw a nurse kneeled next to her. She was still in the church.
'Good, you woke up,' the woman spoke with a gentle voice.
Yet her eyes seemed haunted. No matter what she had seen, it didn't go well.
While getting getting up, Lorraine's sight became blurry.
'What happened?' she mumbled.
And with that question, her memories stumbled back. Until the moment she fainted.
'The demonic energy was terrible here and as I understood you had contact with the girl. The exhaustion and stress was already ending you, when that demonic storm came you couldn't handle it.'
'And where is she?'
The woman pointed behind her at the back toom of the church.
'Now she's fine. After a few hours.'
Despite the pain and soreness, the girl got up. Almost stumbled into a wall, but that was something else.
'They won't let anyone see her yet.'
'But I have to check up on her.'
The nurse caught her hands.
'This time you will have to take care of you, sweetie.'
With those words, the woman walked away to one of the priests who wasn't inside that room.
Yet Lorraine's blue eyes ran once again to that door. She couldn't sense anything and it wasn't pleasant. Exactly when she needed to feel, she didn't.
The memory of a wound came up to her and she glared down at her own forearm.
No sign of nail anymore. Just a small scar like a crescent moon, from the one that had hurt the most.
Chills ran up on her spine.

No bruise. No headache. No feeling that he wasn't alone in his empty house.
But with a bad sensation like an after taste.
The reflection in the mirror gave him a sick color of yellow. In his cheeks the blood was slowly coming back and his eyes regained their usual spark.
Ed was tired. So tired that his muscles complained at each move. However, he had energy cause by his inner agitation.
"I want to see her" was the only thought that filled his mind.
"What if I'm not fine yet?"
A battle was held in his mind. He didn't want to risk.
For dozens of times he got up to leave and find her, but each time he sat back down on the couch. The last time, he stopped at the door, his hand floating in the air toward the doorknob. Standing in confusion.
A weak knock heard from the other side of the door.
'Ed?'
The voice was calm and low.
It was her.
'Is it over?'
His answer heard through the door.
A short silence.
'It's over.'
With quick moves, Ed unlocked the door. Faster than ever cause...she was there.
Lorraine was standing in front of him with a pale face and puffy eyes. A red line fell from her nose where her nose had bled and it dried. Otherwise, there was no sign that she was harmed.
Instantly, his arms pulled her into a hug with power. And she buried her face in his chest.
Thank God it was over and she was fine. He hated every moment since he had told her to do it all by herself. He hated that he hadn't been there.
'Tell me everything,' he asked when they sat down and brought her a wet cloth.
'What's this for?'
He made a sign to her nose and that was the moment she realised it was bleeding.
'What the hell?'
Lorraine cleaned herself up.
'I didn't realise. Well, I can't tell you much since I fainted at the very beginning.'
Yet, she still told him everything else. Leaving out no detail. The way she begged Ruby's parents and how the girl had screamed. What the nurse had told her and how it all went.
When she finished, Ed leaned down to her and pressed his lips against her forehead.
'God, you're so brave,' he whispered with admiration.
'I couldn't have done it without you. If you wouldn't have called and figured it all out, who knows what would have happened.'
They were exhausted.
But at least they were together.