Chapter Eleven - Ethan's POV

Still in a bad mood, I stared sulkily ahead at the wall before me. 

It wasn't fair. Perfect little Ben was hardly even trying and was already shaping up to be Mia Collin's number one crush. She was always into blondes. I remember on my first day of middle school, she was obsessing over some stupid blonde boy, and here she was again, obsessed over another. 

Fuck these blondes...

I wonder if she'd be more attracted to me if I dyed my hair blonde. I mean, sure, I might look dumb, but if she were into it, I guess I'd be willing to –

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a bowl slamming heavily into the table before me. I looked up sharply and found Mia's flamingly angry eyes digging into mine with a piercing intensity. 

She looked scarily angry, but in some strange sort of way; it was kinda hot.

She let out a frustrated breath. "You didn't have to be so rude. Ben is a nice guy," she said, still glaring down at me. 

My sour mood instantly returned, realizing she was upset because I had disrespected her stupid crush. 

Pulling my ice cream towards myself, I sunk my spoon in bitterly. "A little too nice if you ask me," I spat out. I knew I was failing miserably at keeping the jealousy out of my voice, but I couldn't be asked to care.

"No, you're a little bit too rude," she threw back, those big brown eyes of hers still flaring away.

I frowned again, annoyed by how willing she was to consistently defend him. It was without a doubt that they were close, considering he had already given her a nickname. 

I wrinkled my nose as an image of them going to the backroom to secretly make out came to mind. I swear to God if this undeserving motherfucker had kissed her, I was going to kill him.

 "Why the hell does he call you Mimi for anyway? It's such a stupid nickname," I snapped, the words escaping my mouth before I could stop them.

Her face scrunched up in a cross between confused and amused. "You call me, Chubs, for crying out loud," she said with a laugh.

 The sight of her gorgeous smile made me pause a little bit, and I had to fight myself not to smile along with her.

"Yeah, but that's original," I argued. "I call you that because you have a cute little face," I said, pointing at her face with the end of my spoon. 

 Suddenly, she paused and gave me a really strange look. "You think I'm cute?" she said slowly, cocking up her eyebrow.

 I froze, realizing my mistake. It didn't take long for my heart to start violently thumping away.

  Shit, Shit, Shit. Save the situation, Ethan. Save the fucking situation.

"You're...alright," I said with a shrug before swiftly breaking eye contact. 

She was far more than alright, but I certainly wasn't about to admit how attracted I was to her.

I took another spoonful of my ice cream before awkwardly looking around the room. God, I was such a freak. I bet she knew I had a crush on her, but couldn't even be bothered to reject me. I mean, the whole school pretty much knew, so I'm guessing some idiot had probably spilled the beans already.

Suddenly, my eyes caught on to Ben's figure in the far corner. The stupid prick was clearing away a table while happily making polite conversation with a young boy. For fucks sake, he was good with kids now as well? What the hell was this perfect asshole not good at?