Chapter One Hundred and Sixteen

Songs for this chapter:
• illicit affairs - Taylor Swift

Chapter One Hundred and Sixteen:

Lexi's POV

"Guys. Off the couch. We're going to be late," James says dryly from the doorway of our apartment.

Mac and I ignore him from where we're curled up on the sofa together.

"Guys."

Mac huffs and finally acknowledges James. "Five minutes. The segment with Bryce is almost on."

James glances at us over his shoulder, but then, with an exaggerated huff, he shuts the front door and joins us in the living room. He takes a seat on my other side and wraps his arm around me so that I'm tucked in right between him and Mac.

Several small padded footsteps sound from the kitchen, and I glance to my side to see Mochi darting across the room and towards me. She leaps up into my lap, graceful as ever, and promptly curls up against my stomach.

I lower a hand to gently stroke her soft calico fur, and a deep purr immediately rumbles from her. I smile a little to myself and snuggle my cheek against Mac's shoulder.

Because of the musical, Mac, James, and I were given the opportunity to move into a three-bedroom apartment together relatively near the Majestic Theatre courtesy of the company. It's not too luxurious, but it's much nicer than the place I had been living in with Kennedy, Jane, and Quinn while I was working at the club. Living with James and Mac has been a dream come true, and the two of them are the best roommates I ever could have asked for.

And although I already love Mac and James dearly, I think my affection for them somehow grew even more when they surprised me with the sweetest kitten I have ever seen as an opening night present.

I love Mochi more than I can put into words, and I think that she loves me just as much. She falls asleep right at my feet every single night, and a morning doesn't go by when I don't get waken up by her we rubbing her cheek against mine to wake me up.

My eyes leave Mochi and I instead focus on the television again.

My heart absolutely soars at the sight of Bryce Bradshaw's face on the screen.

He's seated in a black leather chair across from a beautiful woman with a golden tan and dirty blonde hair falling in perfect curls to just past her shoulders. Bryce is her polar opposite with his black hair pushed back from his face messily and wearing a fitted black T-shirt that seems to be custom made to fit to every single hard plain of muscle that comprises his chest.

His smile is impossibly big and bright when the interviewer says, "How are you, Bryce?"

His chin dips slightly. "I'm well, thank you. How about yourself?"

I watch as the interviewer's cheeks flush a deep shade of pink and try my best to ignore the curl of jealousy within my chest.

"I'm fantastic. I'm very happy to have the opportunity to speak to you today. Some exciting photos have come out that I would love to chat with you about," the interviewer responds cheerily.

The corners of Bryce's lips twitch for the briefest of moments before he is able to put his charming grin back in place.

I'm sure the change in his demeanour would go unnoticed by anyone else, but I know him far too well to miss it.

"I'm afraid I don't know which photos those are," Bryce replies smoothly.

I sense the lie immediately and try my best to quiet my racing pulse.

Judging by Bryce's surroundings, I can assume that he is in the studio of a daytime talk show, and so it shouldn't be a surprise when the large screen behind him shifts from a plain white background to an image of Bryce.

What surprises me is what Bryce is doing in the image.

He's wearing casual clothes, a pair of sunglasses perched on the bridge of his nose, holding hands with Lydia.

Lydia Spears, the gorgeous redhead pop superstar signed to the same label as Bryce.

My heart sinks to the very bottom of my chest.

He said he would wait for me.

He said there wouldn't be any other girls ever again.

He promised that he would wait for me.

The television screen dies abruptly, and when I glance to my right, I see James holding the TV remote pointed at the screen, his thumb still resting over the power button.

My lower lip is trembling and my hands still against Mochi's fur.

"He said he would wait for me," I say, aloud this time.

"I know," James and Mac whisper gently in unison.

I tear slides down my cheek, a very muted response considering the fact that it feels as though my whole world has just fallen apart right in front of my eyes.

"I've been so busy this past week, but I was going to go see him after the show tonight. When he came to see me on opening night, I realized that I am ready. I'm happy all on my own and I love my life right now. This is all some sick joke. It's only been a week since he bought me flowers and hugged me and took my makeup off for me and . . . The universe knew I was going to see him today, and then this happened. Maybe we just aren't meant to be together," I confess.

Simultaneously, James and Mac's arms come around me, and in the safety of their embrace, I cry.

And cry.

And cry.

Because Bryce broke one final promise to me, and I don't think there is any way for our relationship to be saved now.

A/N: Um...

Oops?

Lmao I've been playing Minecraft all day every day with my friends this week but I'm going to try to fix my time management and write more now lol.