Domestic Abuse

C H A P T E R     T W E N T Y   F O U R

We lay together on the bed, the white sheets stained in blood, Ace popped his stitches and the arm was still bleeding shallowly. Five rounds of rough sex clearly did that to man who had been shot.

I cuddled into his chest and circled around one of the many bruises I had caused him during our less-than intimate encounter. His whole body breathed deeply, worn out from our exercise.

"You fight well." He commented, a mind full of thoughts.

I yawned and stretched out my limbs, feeling exhausted and well spent. I decided not to answer him, after all it wasn't a question. He was merely making an observation.

"What was it like for you, growing up with your father?" He swallowed hard and his face contorted into a pained expression. Then he wiped it off his face and shrugged.

"I dunno, normal?" He answered.

I wondered if he felt pain at the question or for remembering his father. He only died a year ago, maybe it was still fresh to him. Was he grieving?

After a beat, he sat up and shuffled to the edge of the bed. He let out a dark chuckle and it chilled my bones. "What are we doing Red?" He asked, turning to look over his shoulder at me.

"What do you mean?" It was a simple business transaction, wasn't that obvious to him yet?

He sighed and shook his head.

"I knew there was something different about you. You captured my attention because you were so fucking fearless when everyone else ran scared.

You didn't let the men push you around and you never wore that same fearful look in your eyes whenever we spoke.

You approached me uninvited, you spoke to me like I was your equal and not your boss. You called me by my name. It makes sense now, you're in the mafia, aren't you?"

"Ace-" I began to reply, not having the energy for a big fight right now. I just wanted a big nap.

"Fuck." He growled, making efforts to get off the bed. "You lead? Who are you with? I've never seen you before."

I laughed. "You think I lead a mafia?" I was flattered at the compliment. "I don't lead."

"So what the fuck are we doing here? Clearly you're here for intel or to kill me. What game are we playing? You fuck me, get me to drop my guard and then ask me questions? Because I'd prefer torture."

"Ace," I tugged on his arm, forcing him back onto the bed. "Just lay down. I'm unarmed, you're unarmed. We're tired. Let's sleep."

"Are you fucking crazy?" He pulled the sheet off my naked body and sat down on the bed next to me, eyes softening on the scar across my torso. His finger traced it and his thoughts roamed wild.