xxix. article

VARIETY!
✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ

GRETA GERWIG FILM "27" ADDS AARON JOHNSON OPPOSITE OF GERWIG VETERAN, FLORENCE PUGH

✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ

   The upcoming film 27, directed by Oscar-nominated director Greta Gerwig, has cast actor Aaron Johnson — just over a week after Florence Pugh was announced to be set to play the leading role of the film.

    The film — which will be Gerwig's junior directorial project — follows the life of a former child prodigy, Bette Wiley (played by Pugh), in the aftermath of her sisters death, which upends her already shambled adulthood as she nears her 30s. It is said by sources that the film will examine the way failure and success are perceived while also serving as commentary on the expectations put on girls and women by the world around them. Johnson will play James Wallace, the supporting role and Pugh's main counterpart in the film.

  Pugh's casting is no surprise, having previously worked with Gerwig while playing Amy in 2019's Little Women. This will be Johnson's first film since his divorce from director Sam Taylor, whom he worked with professionally several times. His previous credits include Avengers: The Age of Ultron, Joe Wright's Anna Karenina, Nocturnal Animals, Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging, and the titular role in Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2.

   More cast members are set to be announced within the following weeks, with speculation that Gerwig favorite Saoirse Ronan is also in talks to join the project. Production on the film is set to begin in January in Los Angeles, California.

✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ