Sokovia Accords

It's been a month since the events of Lagos, and I am watching the news on the TV in my bedroom. The headline title is Avengers Indictment? "11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month." says the female news anchor as the footage is shown. "The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission when the attack occurred." adds the news anchor. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all," says King T'Chaka of Wakanda. I switch the station to another news station debating whether or not I was part of the problem and whether or not my force field helped. "Hadley Maximoff is an enhanced 9-year old who is a part of the Avengers. She did get this power a few months ago, but with that being said, it doesn't look like her force field made much of a difference. There was still damage nonetheless, and people were still killed. So I doubt it would have mattered if she put up a force field or not. We have been made aware that she suffered serious injuries after rescuing civilians from the building. Besides, what authority does she have to operate in Nigeri?" says a male new anchor. I personally feel like my force field made things better. Who knows, if I didn't put my force field there, the whole building could have come down, plus there could have been a lot more casualties if Wanda hadn't lifted Rumlow in the air. And yes, I did save civilians from that building which lessened the casualties.
For my heroic actions, I got two broken ribs and side stitches. I do feel terrible for the Wakandans. But poor Wanda! I have been watching the news for the past month now, and not one news anchor on any channel has said something nice about her, not even something like, "At least she was trying to help."

I turn off the TV in frustration, and I hear the news coming from Wanda's room. Her door is open, at least. I walk into her room, sit next to her on her bed, and put an arm around her. "Hi, Hads," says Wanda. We are watching the news, and the anchor says, "What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri?" Then someone turns off the TV. Wanda and I turn towards the door, and we see Steve standing in the door frame.

"It's my fault," says Wanda. "That's not true," says Steve. "Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific," says Wanda. "I should have clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said, "Bucky" and all of a sudden I was a 16-year old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me." says Steve. "It's on both of us," says Wanda. "It's my fault too. I should have helped you, Wanda." I say. "Hadley, you helped by putting the force field up. The damage could have been a lot worse if you didn't. On top of that, you went into the building and rescued civilians. You even had part of the building collapse on you and you got two broken ribs and side stitches," says Wanda. "Yeah, but, looking back, I feel like I could have done more," I say. "This job... We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that... then next time... maybe nobody gets saved." says Steve.

There is a whooshing sound, and Wanda, Steve, and I look up to see Vision coming through the wall. "Vis! We talked about this," says Wanda. "Yes, but the door was open, so I assumed that... Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving. "Thank you. We'll be right down," says Steve. "I'll use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest," says Vision stopping in the doorway. "We know who it is?" asks Steve. "The Secretary of State," says Vision, and he leaves. I take a deep breath before walking downstairs to be more professional than teleporting. I walk gingerly since my ribs still hurt. My powers do a lot of things but advanced healing is unfortunately not on that list.

We go to the conference room, and we sit down. I sit in front of Wanda, Vision, and Sam. Across from me is Rhodey, who is sitting in front of Nat and Steve. Tony is sitting in a chair in the corner of the room. Secretary Ross is standing in front of the conference table.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. It turned out it was the best round of my life because, after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word "vigilantes." says Secretary Ross. "What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" asks Nat. "How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" says Secretary Ross. He steps aside, and on the screen, in front of us, he projects clips of various missions and what has been left behind afterward.

"New York," he says as he shows a clip of the battle of New York. We see a dragon-like Chitauri being lead by Tony in his Iron Man suit, civilians running for their lives, me using my powers to take down some Chitauri, and Hulk jumping from a building. "Washington, D.C.," says Secretary Ross as he shows us a clip. We see the three helicarriers with smoke coming from them, the old Shield headquarters with smoke coming out of it, a helicarrier crashing into the Potomac River and drenching and possibly drowning people. "Sokovia," says Secretary Ross as he plays another clip. We see people running, Sokovia flying, and buildings falling over. As we watch the clip from Sokovia tears, come to my eyes as I think of Pietro. I turn to face Wanda, who is having the same reaction as me. I take her hand and hold it and turn back towards the screen. "Lagos," says Secretary Ross as he plays a final clip of the most recent events. We see the building with smoke and traces of fire. We see people being wheeled and walked out of the building and people dead on the floor. Then I see a small girl with brown hair like me trapped under some rubble. Oh, wait. That is me. Wanda and I look down, and Steve says, "Okay. That's enough." Wanda squeezes my hand and I squeeze hers back.

Ross turns off the screen and says, "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross places a thick book on the table and pushes it over to me. The cover says Sokovia Accords. I pick it up and stare at the cover for a moment sliding it to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary." says Ross. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," says Steve. Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" "Mr. Secretary, I believe Thor is on Asgard. I don't know where Bruce is right now, though." I say. "Thank you, Hadley. If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." says Ross. "So, there are contingencies," says Rhodey. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over," says Ross. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?" asks Nat. "Then you retire," says Ross, and Nat nods.

Then Ross and his assistant leave the compound. I know Steve and Tony's positions before we even have a conversation about the Accords.