24.5

The next day is spent fixing their previous plan. They'd gotten so excited at possibly having allies that they hadn't taken into account that they didn't have the space to house said allies. After about five vetoed suggestions, Esme wanders downstairs after checking on Jacob.

"We could move him to the island." She suggests, coming over to stand next to Carlisle.

"But that's how long of a boat ride?" Edward asks, and he can feel the rest of the group watching him. Again. He was the one shooting down all of the ideas. Excuse him for bringing Jacob's comfort into the equation.

"Honey, he might have to be a little uncomfortable, but at least he'll be alive." She says bluntly before taking the tray she'd retrieved from their bedroom into the kitchen.

 She seemed to have voiced what everyone was thinking as they started shrugging or nodding ever so slightly. 

He doesn't say much after that, instead seemingly folding in on himself. 

He was off lately. Clearly, he couldn't get into the groove of making a good decision even if his life depended on it. He doesn't know what he's been thinking lately. Honestly, the thoughts don't even feel like they belong to him. He'd never willingly make a plan that would hurt their baby. This idea of Bella seeing their baby had really thrown him for a fucking loop, so he lets everyone else make the decisions. He's not even sure why he'd thought about it, but once he had, he'd convinced himself that it was a reasonable conclusion to come to. 

After they decide on the island, he lets Carlisle and Esme set up the transportation and packing. He just sort of floats around them.

"Hey, I thought we were all good." Seth says eventually. Embry's standing next to him like he's waiting to put in his two cents.

"We are." 

"So, why are you moping?" Seth follows up, tugging a bag further up on his shoulder.

"Nothing, just hanging back." Edward supplies, watching as Alice lugs two giant suitcases out of the door.

"New dads make mistakes." Embry supplies before he's grabbing for a couple of bags at the bottom of the staircase.

"Yeah, that's what you have us for." Seth says, punching him in the shoulder playfully before making his way out of the door.

Yeah, but most new dads can afford to. 

He turns to head upstairs.

"You can bring Jake down now." Leah calls after him.

Jacob's hot. He's also nauseous as the boat rocks from side to side. It's a big boat. A big boat that has rooms down below for them to sleep in, but he doubts he'll sleep tonight as he lies on this dinky mattress trying to get comfortable. He's never been a fan of anything water related unless he was actually swimming, but carrying extra weight was a different beast of its own. 

Edward's propped up next to him and, surprisingly, he hasn't said much. He's done the extra work and tried to get Jacob something to cool him down, but he hasn't started any lighthearted banter or tried to entertain Jacob. He just sits there, staring out at the ocean.

It's like this for most of the boat ride, but about five hours in, Jacob can't take it anymore.

"What's wrong?" He finally asks after rearranging the pillows for the eighth time to get more comfortable.

He's expecting a tug-o-war. He's expecting to have to pry whatever it is out of Edward.

"Scared," Edward mumbles, staring out at the ocean, "I might make a mistake." He confesses.