Chapter 10.1 (Part 2)

"Help me gather everything up, Jay," Dave said, standing and officially bringing the picnic to an end. "Make sure all the trash is in the canisters."

   "I'll help," Tom offered, sliding off Jane's lap.

   It didn't take long for all evidence of the meal to be removed, the supplies stored away and the children hugged, kissed and buckled into their respective seats.

   "Thank you again for including me in your family picnic" Jane said to both Sally and Dave, already seared in their car and ready to go.

   "Any time, we both and the kids also enjoyed your company." said Sally, while Dave nodded his head as curtsy at her.

Jane waved to them as they drove off. And then she turned to Tyler, who stood beside the unopened driver's door of his car.

   "I had a good time," she told him. "I hope you don't mind that Sally invited me."

   "Why should I have minded?" Tyler asked.

   She decided to let him answer that for himself. "Are we still on for tomorrow evening?"

   He nodded. "My folks are going to watch the kids again. Then we're all going early Saturday to visit Sarah and Jake and the baby."

   Which meant, Jane interpreted, that he probably wouldn't be staying very late at her house. She would just have to make good use of the time they had together. "Why don't I cook dinner for us tomorrow? We can watch a video or play cards or something instead of going out."

   It was the "or something" that she was actually offering, of course, and Tyler probably knew it. He nodded. "That sounds nice."

   She would have loved to kiss him goodbye, and it wouldn't have mattered to her if half the population of Honoria saw them. But because she knew it mattered to Tyler, she took a step backward. "Bye, Ty."

   He already had one hand on his door handle, prepared to join his children in the car. "Drive carefully."

   "I will." Maybe she was just tired, she thought, taking another step away. Maybe that was the reason she was suddenly feeling a little depressed.

   "Jane?" Tyler suddenly called out to her.

   She looked over her shoulder. "Yes?"

   Tyler's faint smile was crooked. "I enjoyed being with you today. I'm glad you came."

   Her heart suddenly lighter, she returned the smile with a bright one of her own. "So am I."

   "See you tomorrow." He slid into his car and closed the door, though he didn't drive away until Jane was safely in her own vehicle.

   'I enjoyed being with you today. I'm glad you came.'

   The encouraging word kept her company as she drove home.