part twenty-seven

the one with the dance.

part twenty-seven

She wants to smash the mirror.

Juno stands in front of it, taking in her reflection. Her lips curl with distaste, and she pivots around on each foot to take in her figure fully.

She hates it.

Juno swears it didn't look this terrible before. She'd thought it was gorgeous back then, but... Her eyes rove over the gown critically. It is satin and backless with a straight neckline; the deep black color of midnight. A slit that starts from her thigh extends all the way to the hem. Suddenly, it looks hideous.

Her fists clench tightly beside her as she stifles the urge to rip it off her frame, put on her pajamas, and curl up into her bed, instead of going to the stupid dance feeling even stupider with such a stupid dress.

It doesn't fit right.

Tears begin pricking the corners of her eyes and she angrily keeps them at bay as discreetly as she can so as not to ruin her makeup, inwardly thanking God that nobody is seeing her like this right now. It's so embarrassing; why on earth is she crying? It's just a gown. Juno sighs. Of all days to feel like absolute shit, it had to be today. Why couldn't it wait until tomorrow?

It's the text from Mark saying he's on his way then that snaps her out of it. She quickly rearranges her chignon, puts on her jewelry, and then takes one more look in the mirror.

Still gross.

Juno is about to reach for her purse when her eyes drift over to the cabinet. Its contents from yesterday are still inside. Don't do it, her inner voice warns.

And yet she does. It's okay, she rationalizes. I won't become dependent on them. I just need to feel better before Mark gets here so he can actually enjoy the evening. She quickly opens the cabinet, takes out the bottle, shakes two of the pills into her palm, then swallows them before taking a gulp of water from the glass beside her bed.

Much better.

There is a knock on the door. After quickly grabbing her purse and placing a kiss on Shawty's forehead, Juno crosses the room to open it. Mark Lee is standing on the other side, looking extremely handsome in a tux ensemble - minus the tie, first two buttons undone, and the jacket slung over his arm.

He takes her in, eyes widening astronomically as he does so. "Oh, dude. Wow. You look really really good." A nervous laugh punctuates the end of his statement.

His reaction is so very Mark-like that Juno can't help letting out an embarrassing giggle, forcing her eyes back up to his face. "Thanks, dude. You also look really really good." He laughs bashfully as they just stand there for a beat. "Just give me a second to put on my shoes."

He watches her strap on the gorgeous heeled silver sandals, letting out a little snort when she's done. "They barely make a difference." It's true; she still stands barely up to his chin.

Juno glares. "I'll have you know my personality more than makes up for my height."

"What personality?" he quips, and her glower intensifies. Grinning, Mark extends the crook of his elbow. "Shall we?"

She takes his arm with a small smile, and they set off. The two make light conversation as they walk, and Juno doesn't miss the looks they get from the few other students making their way down to the hall. Insecurity bubbles up in her chest, but the smile plastered upon her lips doesn't waver.

Stepping into the hall is like stepping into an entirely different world.

Juno's jaw hangs open as she takes it all in. Student Council has gone all out; it seems that the budget for this event was huge. The space is outfitted in gorgeous decorations, with balloons and streamers everywhere without looking tacky. The theme - "When Dusk Falls" - has been interpreted to mean sparkly silvers, deep navies, and rich blacks by way of colors, and it all just looks so wonderfully divine. Her eyes drift to the partygoers themselves. Everyone is so decked out tonight, she almost feels underdressed in comparison. They must really take their dances here seriously. But can she really blame them? When your days consist of the same activities in the same environment every day, any special event is savored, and rightfully.