Chapter 2

"Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear up your path."
~ Unknown

......

Summer White

......

I ended up heading to bed right after Alice around three in the morning, but every time I closed my eyes, the same voice kept playing in my head on repeat saying the same damn thing.

Kai Black.

Kai Black.

Kai Black.

I tossed and turned for hours until I finally decided to get up around seven in the morning and headed out after letting Alice know what I was going out to do. I drove about an hour away to another city where I burned the clothes then headed to Lake Michigan where I threw the gun and the magazine both separately.

There were some joggers around, but I waited until I was alone to complete what I needed to. I got takeout on the way home and made it back by noon. Alice was still asleep and even though my body was begging for sleep, I just couldn't shut my eyes so I watched TV to kill some time before my shift.

Alice woke up right before her shift so we didn't get to talk much, but she seemed like she was well-rested and not stressed out about anything which is good. She took the car to work while I walked because that's what we agreed on last night.

It's nearly midnight and everything has been great. It's pretty busy just like every Friday night is and I'm racking up a shit ton of tips as the bar-tender. I've worked at a few other places, but I haven't liked any other job as much as I like this one.

I get to talk to a lot of different types of people and observe them. It's interesting to see how people act sober versus when they're on drugs. I mean it's not new to me, but for once I just have to be the observer and not use anyone's vulnerability for gain. For once I just get to observe, think and nothing else. I wonder is it really the drugs that make a person behave so out of character or are people just suppressing their true personality under the title of sobriety?

"Old fashioned," I hear a heavy voice order behind me. I turn around and I find a man I've never seen here before, but a man I recognize. His short dark hair is brushed back with a few strands lingering over his forehead. The tips of the strands connect to the long lashes naturally curled up as they hover over his metallic grey eyes tracing my every move carefully.

Even though there are a million other people in here, I can feel the dominating energy as it radiates off him. His plump lips are sealed, and he has high cheekbones and a more structured face than Nick yet the resemblance between them is clear. I had only seen him in pictures before and I never spent too long analyzing his features, but I have to admit that the devil does look like an angel.

My jaw clenches and I take a deep breath hoping that it's just a coincidence that he's here tonight. Not trying to expose myself, I decide to take a deep breath and regain my composure.

"For sure," I smile grabbing the glass and the ingredients to make his drink. I drop my head and focus on the cup, but I can feel his eyes watching me.

"The cup is gonna break if you hold it that tight," he says and I grind my teeth before loosening my grip on the cup. I can feel my heart against my chest as my anxiety rises.

"I'm not that strong," I say looking up and meeting his grey orbs. His chiselled face displays no reaction and I can't help but feel the intensity between us. He's dressed in an all-black suit and the Rolex sparkles peaking under his sleeves. His frame is large and his shoulders broad, he's sitting with perfect posture on the bar stool. If he hadn't spoken, I would be convinced that this man was just an intricate art piece.