13 | the schoolyard paradigm.

JANNAT'S P.O.V

      "DUDE, I THINK MY calculator is broken," I murmured as I scribbled furiously on the paper, cutting out the very wrongly done equation, tapping a peach painted nail against the corner of the paper. "The answer it's showing isn't even an option!"

Adri picked up a fry and aptly popped it into her mouth. "Your calculator isn't broken, Jan, you're broken."

Este hummed in agreement. Adrienne zoomed on. "I swear. Why else would she be foolish enough to not check if it was Christian or Lucas before confessing and almost kissing the person?"

I blew out an exasperated breath. "Come on guys!" I whined as Este shrugged.

"I still think that subconsciously you wanted to kiss Christian, so," Este offered, and I offered her back a sneer. As if that statement helped calm the fire inside me in any way. Especially when I hadn't felt as horrified as I had expected to feel when I found Christian there instead of Lucas - a thought that had been clouding me since the party and had actually, really, obviously been horrifying me to no ends. I chewed on my bottom lip, trying to push the thought away from my mind.

Adrienne sighed. "Estelle might actually be right," She said, and my head snapped towards her so fast that I feared that I had torn a ligament, but right now, I didn't care at all about that.

"What?" I gasped. Adri grinned. I rolled my eyes as I leaned in conspiratorially, scoffing. "I can't believe you lot are still talking about me, when Ava is back at school. Did you all hear about that?"

"I did! I did!" Estelle exclaimed, chomping on her sandwich. "I heard so much gossip in the bathroom. Haven't seen her yet with my own eyes, but apparently a bunch of girls saw her at the principal's office this morning. Wasn't she supposed to be gone for another month on her trip?"

"Really?" Adrienne frowned. "I didn't hear anything!"

"That's because you live under a rock, dummy," I exclaimed, stifling a laugh. "Don't worry, they are still just flying rumors. I heard about it only in second period."

"See? That's why we weren't talking about it. Because one, it's relatively new. Two, your incident is so much more interesting—"

"What's up, guys?" Neil asked as he slid into the empty seat next to mine. I flashed him a small grin, which he returned with equal enthusiasm, if not, more.

"We were just talking about how Jannat here did the most embarrassing thing ever," Este started, and my eyes went wide. "She accidentally almost ki—"

"—lled my pet fish. Yeah, I accidentally almost killed my pet fish—" I paused, searching for a name. "—Miu Miu."

Neil pursed his lips, giving me a thoughtful stare. "Miu Miu is an intriguing name for a fish, isn't it?"

"Absolutely," Adrienne interjected, her eyes shining with mirth. "Don't fret for too long about it, she has terrible nomenclature skills. That's why, if she ever gets more pets or decides to have children in the future, Este & I will be helping her come up with the names. Can't let her name her kids Prada and Gucci now, can we?"

"Prada is a good name for a kid," I grumbled, shooting Adrienne a glare from the corner of my eye. "At least I never thought of naming a future son/pet as Gordon," I said, staring at Adrienne. "What do you say, Adri, you still obsessed with Gordon Ramsey?"