110. Is He Playing With Us?

________________________________

.

.

.

"Victor, please!" Jacqueline whispered, hoping that the kids didn't wake up. 

"Do you want to be thrown out of here? Jacqueline?" His voice was low, dangerous. It was different from how she remembered it - as the annoying voice of her best friend's bodyguard, who could never get his job right. But now that she realized what was really going on, she knew that what she once thought to be his incompetence, was actually him deliberately trying to get her best friend kidnapped or killed. "You want your darling little niece and nephew alone with me? I don't think I will have much patience with them if you aren't here as their nanny." 

Tears trickled down her eyes. It has been a month. It had been a month since they had gotten stuck in this apartment in the middle of god knows where. And she had tried her best, tried every possible trick and taken advantage of every possible moment but she was still stuck here with the kids. 

"They are children, Victor." She pleaded with him. "They are five years old. What did they ever do to you?" 

"They are the five year olds of the person I hate the most in the world." He chuckled. "I feel sorry for Dr. Johnson. I really do." He took a sip of his whiskey. "She is a wonderful woman and she does not deserve whatever she must be going through because of the kidnapping of her precious kids. BUT, they also have the blood of Mateo Adesso, Capo of the New York Unit of the Sicilian Mafia, and future Boss of the Sicilian Mafia, coursing through their veins. So I really don't feel any sympathy for those two vermins, Jacqueline." 

Jacqueline closed her eyes and gulped down the lump in her throat. She wanted to scream and yell at him like she used to, but it was clear that she was not in the kind of situation where she will be able to do that. 

One, she was scared for her life. What if she accidentally flipped a switch and he just pulled out his gun and blast her brain? 

Two, she was scared that even in the situation that he got annoyed to the point that he just decided to chuck her out of wherever this place was, what is, as he said, he did something to the kids. 

She didn't have much people of her own. Of the little people she had, the Johnson family played a major part. And she helped raise the twins. She was like a second mother to them, and she was not going to abandon her little ones now. That's why today and a month ago, when she was given the choice to walk away, she didn't take it. She knew River. She will find them. Jacqueline just needed to stay put and protect the kids until they got here. 

Jacqueline turned on her heels and walked back to the room she shared with the kids. 

Victor had been generous with the number of toys and games that he had bought for the kids, to keep them occupied. 

He still had some humanity left in him, or so Jacqueline liked to believe. And it was this tiny speck of humanity that she wanted to appeal to. But so far, nothing she said worked. 

"Aunt Jackie..." Kiara's sweet little voice reached her ears and Jacqueline rushed to her side. 

"Yeah baby?"

"I want Mommy." She said, her voice hoarse with sleep. 

"I know baby. I told Mommy to get here as soon as possible but you know how important her job is right? She needs to save lives." 

"But it's been so long." She pouted. "And Papa isn't coming either."

"You know how Papa is always in a different city right? He is busy with work." Jacqueline said, her voice almost cracking. "And Mommy has been trying to get out  of  the hospital but people just keep coming, asking for her help."