Twenty-nine

I watched as my home became invaded by people

I watched as my home became invaded by people. There were people cleaning, talking, searching, it was like a circus.

I was seated in the corner of my bedroom, watching some people scrub the red shit off my walls. My hands clenched to the chair, there was nothing I could do. I sat and watched, for hours, everything seemed like a blur.

The only thing on my mind was Lyla.

From the moment I had entered my bedroom, I knew she hadn't left. She wouldn't have left anything behind, yet I was told that her room was untouched. I hadn't released until now, how much danger I had put her in. It was reckless to leave her here alone, it shouldn't have happened.

I felt a hand grip my shoulder, "Easton, all the wires were cut on the cameras, we have nothing." Dante stood in front of me, I didn't bother acknowledging him, yet his words brought something I wasn't used to, an emotion that hadn't touched me in years.

Fear.

And that is the same emotion that had kept creeping up on me for the past 2 weeks.

It's been two weeks since Lyla had seamlessly disappeared without a trace, no security camera footage, no death threats, no bribes. She was just gone.

Sitting in the conference room, I am not aparant to anything being said. I should be listening, but I can't. This was the same thing every day, come into the conference room, they tell me that there are no leads, leave the conference room, repeat. It was like a never-ending cycle of disappointment.

I had talked with my father several times, which only caused more chaos. He wasn't very happy by the fact of the whole situation, and how I made everyone's main focus on finding her, instead of what they should be doing.

A couple of days ago Megan had come back, her first instinct was to punch me, and she did. I deserved it, so I didn't try to stop her. This whole situation was fucked up.

Her words patinising me as they repeated over in my head, "you fucking did it this time, this is all your fucking fault Easton. I fucking hate you. You don't fucking deserve her. She was my fucking best friend."

Megan was like a sister to me, I couldn't think straight, they had finally gotten to me.

I haven't slept, my main focus was trying to find out where she went, and if she was okay. I glance down at my phone hearing it vibrate against the table.

I ignore the vibration of my phone as it starts to go off again, "Easton just get it, it's fucking annoying." I hear Dante call from the other end of the room.

I pick up my phone answering it, "What."

"That's not a way to greet me now is it," the voice calls.

"Well, who the fuck are you?" I grumble sitting up in my chair. I didn't need this bullshit right now.