27 Perspective

***

Chapter 27

***

I do a little shimmy when Fiona directs me to an old coffee machine.

"Is coffee making your speciality?" She smiles at my excitement.

"Nah, I just used to do all kinds of latte art for my parents when I was little." I gasp, wagging my imaginary tail. "Oh! I could so do it right now. I just need a piece of paper, scissors, and cacao powder."

People pleasing? Yes. Very much. Shut up.

Fiona chuckles without judgment. "Sure, honey. Let me go grab it while you set up."

She sets down a wooden tray with white cups, then coffee and milk before she leaves. Meanwhile, I lift the frother to practice my technique. I'm a bit out of practice, but I don't mind failing a few times to get it right.

When she returns with a paper and scissors, I smile gratefully and cut a heart outline. Within minutes, I have the milk frothed and an espresso shot in each cup.

"You want to teach me how you do it?" Fiona asks. I lift my eyebrows in surprise. No one has ever asked me before. Does she mean it?

"Sure." I bite my lip, concentrating even harder. "So, I pour the milk from the middle, very slowly. Just enough to cover the top until the black turns brown."

"Like a canvas."

I smile. "Yeah. Okay, so next I pour in a spiral motion... all around the cup." My heart pounds with each step, praying I don't fuck up. I tilt the cup and lean it closer to shape the design.

"Look at that tulip!" Fiona exclaims. "Oh, I could never do that, it's beautiful."

"It's easy." I roll my eyes, mentally dancing macarena.

"So now you're going to pour the cacao?"

"Oh no, that's for the blank ones." I put the heart outline over the other cup that's already filled with foamed milk and tap the cacao shaker over it. "I just think it's special when everyone gets their own design."

"Your parents must've been so happy that you did this for them." She notes over my shoulder.

I purse my lips, putting the cups in the tray. "I guess."

"Man, I'm starving." Lucas walks into the kitchen and opens the fridge. "Please don't tell me you brought all this food today. We're just here for a day, mom!"

"So what?" She puts her hand on her hip. "It's not like you cook anymore. What am I going to do, have you go out and stuff your face with junk food?"

"Excuse me. I'm sorry." He puts up his palms up and bows. "Thank you, thank you so much for cooking. Cause you know, I starve to death on my own. My food is just water and air."

"Don't be a smart ass." She smacks his head with a dish towel. Lucas ducks and chuckles, opening the freezer.

"Oh no! What'd you guys do?" He yells loudly, pulling out a package of ice cream. "Is this ice cream? Now Layla's never going to leave!"

I bite my tongue. There's no way I'm going to fight in front of his mom. Lucas grins at me like a chashire cat and gets behind her shoulder.

"What's the matter? Scared to act up in front of my mom?" He mimics my scrunched up frown and raises his pitch higher. "Ruff, ruff, ruff!"

"Lucas." Fiona warns, a smile tugging on her lips. "Behave."

He sticks his bottom lip, talking to me in a baby voice. "What's wrong? You hungry? You hungry?"