Chapter 20: All of Our Senses

A pair of rookies from our division were assigned to protect the crime scene by night while a GCPD squad car sat 24 hour vigil outside. The human police department believed the thrones were a homeland security/FBI joint task force. They watched by day when we could not, unaware of the secrets right under their nose.

"What happens if an overzealous cop stumbles upon something they shouldn't?" Ariane asked as we walked up the street.

Jacob had parked around the corner.

"Every city has a short list of vetted police officers at the top of the list when the need comes to assist the task force."

"Vetted or not, people get curious. Can't be helped..." her voice trailed off as she watched a group of gang members harassing a young man.

"There's been the occasional rogue cop, but we manage them like everything else." I cleared my throat loudly, grabbing her attention. "It's not our business."

"He's just a kid." Her eyes narrowed at my shrug. "Some of them are rats."

I turned and studied the youths. Couldn't sense their beast from so far away. I said as much.

"I can smell them."

"Okay, I'm impressed. Again."

She chuckled.

"Starting to wonder if you just impress easy."

"Actually, it takes quite a bit to catch my attention."

"Are you sure? I've had your eye from the first time we met."

I choked on my witty comment, suddenly at a loss for words.

"I'm kidding," she said, squeezing my arm. "You look like you swallowed a fly."

"I'm fine... you just caught me off guard. Didn't know you've been watching my eyes all this time." I shook my head. "I sure hope you spared some time for your lessons."

There was a short silence, then we both shared a laugh.

The GCPD squad car was parked in front of Sheila Taishoff's apartment building. One of our own perched on the edge of the roof, his specter suit making him look like a pillar of wispy smoke. I flashed my task force badge as we entered the building. Ariane stood in the doorway watching the gang activity.

"We should still do something."

"Over time, you'll learn we can't police everything. People begin to resent you..."

I didn't bother to look back, but I was sure she understood.

The second throne on watch stood at the top of the stairs. Still as the grave. A casual observer might have mistaken her for a mannequin. As I drew even with her, she shifted her weight and saluted. She moved with a smooth fluidity which seemed impossible only moments earlier.

Ariane and I moved to Sheila's apartment door, but I paused at the concealment tape. I knew the body, or what was left of it, was back at headquarters. I knew the souls had long since departed, yet I still feared what I'd see in there. Ariane put a hand on my shoulder.

"You don't have to go in right away. Let me scent the room first. I'll be a few moments."

Embarrassing.

"I'm okay, but I'll give you a few minutes to do your thing in private ."

She squeezed my shoulder and ducked under the tape. I leaned against the wall, happy for a moment to collect myself before returning to the bloody scene. I pulled out my phone and texted Khaleel. I wanted to know if we'd had any luck finding Marty's father, Johnny. We still didn't have a last name, a pack, or even a description. If Sheila was so obsessed with her baby's father, she likely had pictures of him on her own cellphone. I sent him instructions to review the downloaded camera roll.