Whispers in the Rain Part 2

He was a hero. He was a beacon of shining light that was meant to inspire justice and good will amongst his fellow man. He was the face of righteousness. He was the symbol of hope that things can and will get better. He was efficient at his job without complaining, and he wore a stunning smile while doing it.

Clay had been the hero Dream for two months. He wasn't well known at the time, and he was overshadowed by greater heroes. He was sent to Cogchamp by order of the Heroes Association's public relations manager to give some advice to the new heroes there. The plane didn't land where it was supposed to, and that was the fateful day that Clay met a small blonde who could jump off buildings without making a sound.

Clay reached his hand out to the child, promising a glorious future where no one had to suffer like the boy had. The child stared at him with frosty blue eyes as he took the hand offered to him. Clay remembered smiling as he helped the child onto the plane, holding the fragile creature in his lap while filling out paperwork for a sidekick.

Clay learned that the child's name was Theseus, but Clay didn't like how that name made the kid more upset and volatile. Clay told the kid to respond to the name Tommy. That was it took, giving a new name, for the child to put his trust in Clay. When he learned of this, Clay swore that he would remain worthy of that trust.

Of course, Clay didn't adopt a child, he recruited a sidekick. He was lucky enough that Tommy had previous training, and Clay was able to build off the skills Tommy already had while strengthening his body. Under the careful guidance of Clay, Tommy turned from a malnourished child to a formidable opponent. Tommy did everything Clay asked without question, and Clay saw that loyalty in action. While they were training, Tommy made sure that not a single projectile landed on Clay, taking several blows to keep this from happening.

On their first mission, Clay had Tommy in a bright red suit with a painted mask around his eyes. Tommy had been smiling the entire time as Clay finished the suit. Clay placed his :) mask on his face while telling the boy that they were no longer Clay and Tommy, but Dream and Tempest.

Ever since that first meeting, Tempest had stayed by Dream's side as a sidekick. He didn't care that he wasn't acknowledged by the public, or that he hurt himself when trying to protect Dream from surprise attacks and assassination attempts. Tempest stayed true to his loyalty in every decision that he made. Tempest had the capacity to betray anyone, and he would have done so if Dream asked. On scarier thoughts, Tempest knew that no matter the command, even murder and torture, he would comply if Dream was the one who ordered it.

Dream had moved on, and Tommy was still clinging on. It was stupid to give unwavering loyalty to someone who couldn't return that. Yet... as long as Dream had been holding out his hand, offering a chance to become more than what fate dictated, Tommy would take that hand over and over again.

"Get up," Tommy muttered. Clay looked at him with sad eyes. He was on his knees before Tommy, sobbing as he clung to the sheets in some attempt to apologize. But Tommy wouldn't accept it this way. "Get off your knees, Clay, and leave me the fuck alone."

"You and I both know that I can't," Dream whispered as he stood on his legs. Despite his teary face, his body didn't shake in the slightest. Tommy chalked it up to years of training. Tommy would know since he spent a majority of his time with Dream as they trained. Balance was important, Clay had said, one must never hesitate or stumble.

"You've left me before, how is this any different?" Tommy snapped with glaring eyes. He leaned his head back against the wall behind him as Dream sat down on the foot of the bed. They remained in silence for a little while.

"I know what you told them. I know that you said it was an accident, and that you slipped from the fire escape. I also know that you were lying," Dream whispered. He looked at Tommy, reaching for him with one of his hands. "It isn't your time to die yet, Tommy."

Tommy looked away from that hand. Against all reasoning, Tommy wanted to take that hand. He wanted Dream to pet his hair while reading a book like he used to do, he wanted Dream to boop his nose whenever they played tag, he wanted Dream to hold his face between both of his hands while reminding Tommy that he made Dream proud. Because as long as Dream held out his hand, Tommy would take it. But Tommy couldn't take it, even if he wanted to. "It's never my time to die."

A truth he acknowledged every day. Moments from his past where Tommy should have died but didn't sprung into his head like evidence. His first mistake, that day in the convenience store, when Tommy was shot in the gut while trying to save the people there. When he jumped off the roof, chasing after Fran, holding tightly to her fur as they plummeted to the ground. That day when SapNap lost control, setting the entire place on fire, and Tommy got burned all over his body protecting Dream. Just a few days ago, when Tommy... fell from the fire escape, hitting the water with enough force that bones should have shattered.

"I'm coming back for you. I don't want any other sidekick. It was all XD's idea, and he somehow convinced that public relations officer that it would be great to find someone popular for the best hero, and I chose my job over not betraying you. For that, I truly am sorry. I will do whatever you want. But understand that this is all temporary. It's been a month and half. I'll find some way to convince XD that you should be allowed back," Dream swore as he grabbed both of Tommy's hands.

"What makes you think I trust you after what you did?" Tommy snapped, lightly tugging on his hands to test Dream's grip. It got stronger the more Tommy fought against it, so he let it be for the time being.

"Because you haven't hit the button alerting the nurses you need help," Dream supplied with a half smirk across his face. Tommy's face immediately went red as he lowered his gaze. "After all we've been through, can you trust me this one time? When I need your loyalty more than ever, can you rise to the occasion? If you ask me to, I will leave right now. I won't contact you unless you want me to, and I won't say anything to you or anyone you've come to care about."

Tommy sighed as he leaned his head against Dream's shoulder. "I haven't stopped trusting you, bitch boy."

Dream laughed as he took Tommy into a hug, holding him there while playing with Tommy's hair. The blonde yawned against his green hoodie before he was lowered back onto his pillow. He felt Dream move the hair out of his forehead before Dream kissed his forehead. "I will be back for you. You can bet on that."

Tommy was asleep before Dream even left the room.

Completely platonic, just need to clarify in case we have some sickos
They are between older bro/younger bro and Dad/Son relationship-wise