92. together

Someone was shaking me.

I awoke, but did not open my eyes as my senses slowly came back to me. I could hear the sound of distant waves, taste the salt water that hung in the air, feel the sand beneath my limbs. I was on a beach, no longer in Bardo, no longer dying.

My eyes cracked opened and instantly were met with the bright sun that loomed overhead. It took a moment for my vision to adjust to the stark light, but once it did I could see that someone was hovering over me.

The figure was obscured by back light. Only when he spoke did I recognize who it was. "Hey." He cracked a small grin, grabbing onto my arms and pulling me into a sitting position.

Disorientation overtook me and for a moment I wondered if all of this was real, or perhaps I was dreaming once again.

"John?" I wondered, utterly shocked and grateful to see him here. "You're alive?"

The famous John Murphy smirk came to his face as he shrugged. "Looks like it...can't kill a cockroach."

My heart rate seemed to triple as I looked around, my eyes landing on Emori who was crouched next to the two of us.

"Emori." I breathed, my eyes filling with tears. She smiled, allowing me to pull her into a hug.

The mind drives must have saved their lives. Their minds hadn't died, meaning they had had the chance to make the choice like the rest of us.

The others.

The thought ran through my mind like a wrecking ball, gripping me in worry. What if they weren't here? What if they had chosen to Transcend?

Murphy noticed the panicked look on my face and nodded to the space behind me. "They just got here...they won't be awake for a while."

Behind me laid my entire family-all of them.

Miller, Jackson, Gaia, Indra, Raven, Octavia, Levitt, Jordan, Hope, and Echo. They were all here. They had all chosen to live with Clarke rather than Transcend.

Murphy let out a surprised noise from next to me as he seemed to notice a particular figure who laid with his back turned to us. "Is that--"

"--Bellamy." I breathed, relief flooding through me.

He was here. Bellamy was here.

My heart felt like it was going to explode with joy as I scrambled to my feet, rushing toward him as fast as I possibly could.

I had known what he was going to decide. I knew that even if he hated Clarke, he wouldn't leave her to live this life alone. I also think he knew that I would make the same decision as him.

The two of us had decided to live a limited life in favour of an eternal one. All of us had.

None of us could leave Clarke here alone and it was evident that we all would rather live as a family for as long as possible than be split up in anyway. Death was nothing to be scared of if you got to spend your life with those you loved. Eternity without your loved ones was what was to be feared.

Dropping to my knees next to Bellamy, I pushed the curls out of his face, taking in his every feature. The prospect of living without him was one that filled me with dread. I was more than thankful I wouldn't have to do that anytime soon.

"Bell," My voice came out in a gentle whisper, one full of hope and relief. "Bell, wake up."

Cupping his face in my hand, I lightly ran my thumb across the side of his cheek. Scars littered his skin, only visible from up close. My finger traced one of the many causing his eyes to dance from under his lids.