CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.

The past few days had been even more exhausting. After Lev and Roma's disappearance out into the Ravkan wilderness, Liliya found herself restless. She constantly tossed and turned in bed. Aleksander tried to distract her and tire her out but nothing really worked. She just stared at the ceiling and thought for the long hours of the night. It was exhausting but it was all she felt like she could do.

Training with Alina and Arina distracted her during the day. Time with Aleksander strategising for the war also helped fill her time. It left her busy and she was glad to be busy but it had meant she hadn't seen Genya. Liliya had only caught glimpses of the other redhead over the days so was thankful for the free time and she headed straight towards her old room where Genya usually was at this time of day.

Liliya didn't bother to knock and strolled into the room, closing the door behind her as she looked around. Genya was sat on the bed, relaxing with her hands on her lap before she spotted Liliya.

"You look rough," Genya said rather bluntly. Her way of greeting was certainly not what Liliya expected but she didn't entirely care. Instead, she walked over to the bed and sat down. Genya sat up against the headboard.

"I'm exhausted," Liliya mumbled and quickly realised what Genya would say, "and don't," She added, a warning edge to her tone. Genya rolled her eyes and watched as Liliya moved to sit against the headboard.

"The bags under your eyes are gone somehow," Genya responded, shrugging. Liliya pulled her eyebrows together and looked over at the mirror, able to get a glimpse of her face. She did look less tired oddly enough.

"I didn't notice. I thought it was because of you," Liliya explained as she let her head fall back. Her eyes falling closed as she rested her hands against her lap. Three days of barely any sleep was getting to her. Across the past few days, she had gotten around four hours so she wasn't going to die but it felt hard to function.

"Li, I haven't seen you all week," Genya said, the worry lacing her tone. Liliya tilted her head slightly, squeezing her eyes closed before she chuckled. She had to think about it really hard but it had been nearly two weeks since she had last spoken to the redhead.

"Oh... yeah. Sorry," Liliya shrugged. The apology was genuine but it didn't exactly sound that way.

"It's fine. Is there something wrong? I doubt this was just the General," Genya questioned. Her hand moving to gently poke Liliya's cheek. The redhead scowled and lifted her head, opening her eyes again. It took them a moment to adjust to the light before Genya's face came into focus.

"Partly him and then I stayed up all night worrying about Roma and Lev," Liliya answered, her hand lifting in some vague gesture that added nothing. Genya frowned.

"Have you heard anything?"

"No,"

"Oh,"

"Yeah. It's fine. Just I need to lie down," Liliya decided as she pushed herself forward. Her head falling into the plush pillows as she closed her eyes. Her whole body relaxing against the mattress. Then she remembered why she wanted to see Genya. David. "How's David?" Liliya asked, a slight teasing lilt to her tone.