𝐂.31

a confession

ARRIVING LATE BACK AT JOHN B'S, Martha had puffy eyes and guilt-ridden fever

ARRIVING LATE BACK AT JOHN B'S, Martha had puffy eyes and guilt-ridden fever. Her face flushed from her runner's high but also the sheer amount of sickness she felt deep to her core.

It was way past 1 am, the Chateau's front door hinges creaking as she steps into the humid house. The old and moldy floorboards creaking under her weight as she tries her best to tiptoe into the spare room that JJ was staying at, trying not to disturb John B with her appearance.

She texted JJ, telling him to stay at Johnny's because there was no point in going to her house, she didn't want Sarah to follow her.

Sarah would never be caught at John B's house alone past midnight. Never.

Stepping into the dark-lit room, she finds JJ playing Crossy Road as he anxiously waits for her. Closing the door behind her, he finally looks up, startled by the sound of the thick wood. The blue light from his phone highlighting the smile on his face, contrasting to the dark mood growing abnormally thick.

"Oh, Hi Marty, is everything okay with Sarah?" He stands up, immediately turning off the light reflecting off his cellphone. Blackness and shadows consume the couple, even in the familiarity of his warm embrace, Martha cannot see the future... even if it's right in front of her.

Stop worrying, just tell him. He'll understand. Tell him. Come on, just do it.

She nods into his bare chest, swallowing any words that she might slip at the bad time, wrapping her fidgety arms and hands around his waist. JJ could tell something was wrong, she's always been easy to read.

"You had me worried, Kiara had to convince me not to drive over there," he chuckles, reminiscing how the girl's nonchalant attitude about the kook princess dropped momentarily. "Are you okay? You're shaking," his lips kiss the top of her head, trying to calm her down.

Martha hums, her monotone voice withdrawing information as she pulls away and strips off her sweaty clothing. The moonlight reflecting off the waves gives the perfect combination of light and shadow towards the back of the room, near the windows. JJ watches as she takes off her bathing suit, even in the blackness he knows every curve of her body, and snakes on a pair of spare boxers and a baggy Led Zeppelin IV tee shirt.

JJ sits down at the edge of the bed, his knee bouncing up and down as he shifts nervously. Martha lets out a frustrated sigh into her hands, a loud and tired one. Leaning over to the desk beside him, he twists on the spare lantern they used at the graveyard.

The light shines on the abnormally quiet pair. New possibilities combatting the silence as the glow tries to fight off the gloom swarming around them, dark thoughts clouding the anxious mind.

"McFly?" JJ swallows, his fears ransacking his mind. "What's wrong? Did- did something happen? Did you run into Rafe?" He stands up, his eyes looking upon his girl. She wasn't saying anything, just standing there in silence.

Maybe she wasn't communicating with him, but she was in a deep conversation with herself.

You're making this too dramatic than it has to be. Just fucking tell him.

But what if he doesn't forgive me? I'm a liar. He'll never trust me again.

No, now he's jumping to conclusions. Goddamn, just tell him. Look how worried he is over you. He doesn't deserve you. Get your shit together. You're pathetic. Just tell him.

"What did he do? I'll kill him," he seethes through his teeth, turning around, and begins to head for the bedroom door.

"No," her hand grabs his wrist, holding him back from walking away. He turns around, finally seeing her again since earlier this evening.

"Did I do something? Did I overstep my boundaries...at The Wreck?" He bites his lip nervously, he would never want to cause her harm. Never.

Okay, you gotta tell him now.

"No," she shakes her head, instantly dismissing the thought from his mind. "You—" she blushes, "you were perfect, actually."

"Oh," he grins, his face growing smitten as he scratches the back of his neck. "Then, what's wrong, baby?"

"Umm," she folds her arms, her fingers furiously tapping on her skin. She closes her eyes, unable to look into his as she tells him. "Sarah kissed me... and— and I kinda kissed her back." She bites her lip, the feeling of guilt washing over her, her cheeks and neck flaming in embarrassment, her eyes squeezing shut as she rambles on in the silence.

"I immediately pulled back. I didn't mean to. She was drunk, and it was rash, and she was upset with Topper, and so I feel like she was just using me because I totally didn't see it coming. And I told her that I'm not a cheater because I really, really, really like you and—"

"—Martha!" JJ laughs, holding the rambling girl's face with his hands. "Look at me."

She peaks one eye open, squinting as the lantern light beams in her eyes as she slowly opens both to stare into Egyptian blue ones. She looks at his face, no signs of anger, no signs of sadness, no betrayal, no jealousy, nothing. Just the opposite. Maybe, even fondness? His snarky grin could mean an assortment of things.

"Thank you for being honest with me," he whispers, pulling her into a hug.

"You're—" she pulls back, her arms still around his neck. "You're not upset?"

JJ shakes his head, smirking as he recites her words from their little adventure at The Wreck, "you are mine and I am yours, remember?"

She nods, her smile wavering as her breath becomes uneven. "Well, I haven't been completely honest with you. Nor with myself."

"I know."

"What?" Her eyes grow wide as JJ licks his lips, unsure of how he wants to word what he wanted to say. He's never told anyone this, not even the pogues.

"Sweater Weather is my anthem too."

Marty grins a smile she didn't know she was capable of doing, especially with all the shit she's been through. "I'm so proud of you."

She kisses JJ, the force from it causing the happy couple to land back on the soft mattress. Laughter and giggles bouncing off the walls as they wrap up in each others' arms. JJ sits up momentarily, flicking off the light as they cuddle together in the darkness. Unafraid. Totally at peace.

"Me too, baby McFly, me too."