Forty-One.

On Christmas Day, it was the day of the Yule Ball. I've never seen the castle so full at this time of year, nor have I ever seen it so beautiful. I had to buy myself some maternity dress robes for the occasion. And I also had to buy my son and daughter some dress outfits as well.

Bradley didn't ask Walker to the ball, he decided against it. He's going alone, which I am proud of him for. He needs to take this at his pace, and if he's not ready for everyone to know, then he doesn't have to tell anyone. I had to go to the ball early to help finish setting everything up. It was so beautiful in the Great Hall I had forgotten that I was even in the Great Hall.

When the students piled in, I was glad to see that Fred walked in with Angelina. He looked happy to be here with her, too. George and Lyanna walked in together too, and she looked so beautiful in her red gown. Her hair was down and curled in big romantic curls.

Bradley came in soon later, and I approached him. He smiled at me as I fixed his collar. "You thinking about dancing with anyone tonight?"

"Maybe," he said, shrugging.

"Don't you be afraid," I told him, "Those who care don't matter, and the ones who matter don't care. Remember that, sweetie."

"Thanks mum," he says, nodding.

"You're welcome, darling. I love you."

"I love you, too," he says and then he walks off to a table where Walker Owler was sitting and he asked if he could sit next to him. I smiled when he did.

Harry showed up with Ron. They came with the Patil twins tonight. They both looked absolutely miserable. I know Ron also wanted to come with Hermione tonight, even if he won't admit it. I know that just like his older brother, he too has a crush on Hermione.

Hermione was on Viktor Krum's arm, which was odd to me. He was 18, and she was 14. If that were my daughter I would have put my foot down and told her to get far from him. But as much as I care for her, Hermione wasn't my daughter, so I didn't have that right.

The four champions and their dates did the first dance of the night. Then it was dinner time. I sat with the other professors at the staff table. The Champions and their dates sat with us as well, and so did the judges. Percy Weasley was here in place of Barry Crouch. No one has seen or heard from him since the very first task. He's been sending Percy in as his replacement, and Percy is very happy for the job opportunity.

Percy and I talked for a moment, and he congratulated me one more time on my pregnancy before we parted. I was supposed to be supervising the dancing after all. Fred looked very happy while dancing with Angelina. Hermione looked happy dancing with Viktor. George and Lyanna looked very happy together as well. Neville Longbottom was happily dancing with Ginny Weasley. They were very cute together as friends.

I enjoyed seeing all of the kids dancing together. But Ron and Harry looked miserable. I know Ron wanted to come with Hermione, but so did Fred and he's not letting that ruin his night. Harry also didn't get to come with the girl he wanted to either, and again he's letting it ruin his day. It was kind of pathetic.

It was kind of a James Potter move of them. If we would have had this when we were kids, James would have asked Lily. And if we would have been in fourth year like Harry is now, she would have turned him down, and he would have sat sullen all night like the drama king he was.

God I miss him so much.

Then my eyes shifted to the table where my son was sitting chatting with Walker. They were sitting awfully close to one another, and then they stood up as a slow song started. I watched Bradley hold his hand out to Walker and he took it, and they walked to the dance floor and began slow dancing together. I smiled so hard at the sight. My heart felt so full and so proud of my son.

I didn't watch too long, because I didn't want Bradley to know I was watching him. I let them finish the song together and then an upbeat song started. I looked for my kids again, and they were dancing as a small group. George, Lyanna, Bradley, and Walker were all dancing together. It was sweet to see, really. Bradley had nothing to worry about, or be ashamed of. Because like I said, those who care don't matter. All he has to do is stay true to who he is, which I understand is easier said than done. But as long as he is his most authentic self, then that's all I want for him.

Ron and Hermione got into it as the dance was coming to a close. I was about to break them up when she took off out into the Entrance Hall. I decided to find out what happened. I walked over to Ron, but he walked off before I got to him, and Harry too. So I decided to go hint down Hermione. She was crying on the stairs of the Entrance Hall. So I sat next to her and I put an arm around her, comforting her. She was crying so hard she couldn't speak.

"It's alright, Hermione," I told her, "Let it out." She cried for a bit longer then pulled herself together. She was distraught at whatever Ron had said. "What did Ron say to you?"

She sniffled, "He told me that I was fraternizing with the enemy because I came with Viktor tonight."

"Well that certainly wasn't right of him. But you know he didn't mean it. He's jealous that you came here with Viktor. He wanted to come here with you. He just won't admit it to himself."

"Well then that's his problem then," she hissed. I know she wasn't angry with me, but at Ron.

"It is," I agreed, "Because there's someone else I know who also wanted to come with you tonight and he's not letting it ruin his night that he waited too long to ask you. So yes this is Ron's own personal issue. Don't you let him make you so upset, sweetie. Go in there, dance with your date, and have a good time."

"You're right," she says, nodding and she stands up. "Thank you, Professor."

I smiled at her, "You're welcome, sweetheart."

She headed back into the Great Hall then. I smiled as I watched her. I felt the baby kick my insides, and I placed my hand onto my stomach. "I didn't forget that you're in there, little one." I said to them, "Don't worry. We're going to bed in a little bit. The ball is nearly over."

During the last song of the night, I watched my son slow dance one more time with Walker. They left the Great Hall holding hands. It was very cute. George and Lyanna walked out with Fred and Angelina.

The next day, Harry came to me and told me that he saw Igor Karkaroff talking to Snape last night, and Igor said something about fleeing if things got too dangerous, and that something was bothering him on his arm. He had no idea what it could mean. He also heard that Hagrid was a half giant, which didn't surprise us at all. After I assured him he had nothing to worry about with Snape, he let it go. Then he told me that Ron and Hermione had decided not to speak of their argument and they were being very formal towards each other. 

Harry hadn't figured out what the clue in the egg was. He mentioned that Cedric had told him to take a bath, bring the egg, and mull things over in the hot water, but Harry didn’t do that yet. He didn't want to do anything Cedric told him to, because he wasn't still jealous that Cedric had gotten to Cho Chang before Harry did, but I told him he was being ridiculous.

Hagrid wasn't at his job when term resumed, and we had no idea why until we caught a copy of the Daily Prophet had an article written by Rita Skeeter about him being a half giant. Which had comments about how awful of a teacher he was from Slytherin students. It was all to get back at Harry for not speaking to her after the first article about him.

There was a Hogsmeade visit halfway through January, and Harry was hoping to see Hagrid and convince him to come back to work. It didn’t really work. At least not right away and he resumed his post shortly after.

The second task of the Triwizard Tournament was held right before I left for Maternity leave. On February 25th, we gathered at the Black Lake. Something had been taken from each of the champions and they had an hour to get it out of the lake.

Cedric and Fleur both used the same Bubble head charm to breathe under the water, Viktor turned his head into one of a shark, and Harry had eaten a handful of Gillyweed. Harry didn’t know that they were going to release them after the hour was up, and that's why he was the last one to come back up. He wanted to make sure that they were all safe. He even saved Fleur's little sister and Ron as well. I wasn't the biggest fan of the fact that Hermione was Viktor's thing that he would miss the most, but I was happy that she was safe. 

I left for Maternity leave on March 1st, which was also Ron's 15th birthday. I headed to my house in Hogsmeade. I was glad that I did leave when I did because I gave birth to a baby girl not even a week later. I really left right on time.

My older kids didn't meet their new baby sister until two weeks after she was born during a Hogsmeade weekend trip. They gushed over her, and fought over who got to hold her first. It was cute of them really.

I was making lunch for my kids when out the window I saw another group of kids walking into the woods with a dog. Seeing the bear-like dog walking with Harry, Hermione, and Ron made me stop for a moment. It was him. I've seen that dog many times. I knew it was Sirius. I quickly headed outside into the forest and I turned myself into my bunny form and I followed them. They had no idea it was me following them. When I saw Sirius turn back into himself, I stopped in my tracks. It really was him.

He was dirty, covered in dirt looking like he hadn't showered in weeks, like he was last time I saw him, but I didn't care, I wanted to hug him so bad right now. I hopped towards them, and only Sirius noticed me. He smiled upon seeing me.

"That's odd, wild rabbits don't usually approach humans," says Harry, sounding alarmed as Sirius starts walking towards me.

"It's alright, Harry," replied Sirius, his tone calm, "This bunny is different. She's a dear friend." I reached him then, and I rubbed my head onto his leg. Sirius knelt down and stroked my back. "I've missed you, too, Ellie."

I turned back into myself then, and I smiled as I pulled him close to me into a tight hug. Hermione gasped seeing it was me, and Ron said, "Professor Greene!" In a surprised voice.

"You're not pregnant anymore," says Harry, sounding surprised as well.

"Yes, my daughter is doing well thank you," I say, smiling at them.

Sirius becomes very curious then, "You had another baby? Who is the father?"

"Yes," I say, nodding, "I had a baby girl about two weeks ago. Her father is Remus."

The kids all gasped like this was new news to them. I guess my kids didn't tell them who the father of my new baby was, but Sirius smiled. "Really?" Asks Sirius, sounding surprised. "Is he here in Hogsmeade?"

"Um, no, he doesn't want anything to do with the baby. Said she's better off without a father she should always be ashamed of."

"Oh, Ellie," sighs Sirius, "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," I say, shrugging, "I figured something like that would happen. I raised two children without a father. I can do a third"

"That's my girl," says Sirius, patting my head. "What's the little chap's name?"

"She has three Middle names, all of her names are for all of my best friends, her full name is Lily Molly Mary Dorcas Greene, but I just call her Lily. Since Lyanna already had Marlene's name I figured my other daughter should get the other names, too."

"Oh how sweet," he says, smiling. "I wish I was free so I could meet her."

"I always knew it wasn't you," I told Sirius. "I always knew you didn't have it in you to do that to your best friends. And Marlene, I knew you'd never do that to her."

"Never," said Sirius, shaking his head.

"Professor," said Hermione, "How come you never told us that you're an Animagus?"

"It never really came up in Astronomy class, did it?" I admit looking at her, "I did the process to join Sirius, James, and Peter in spending the full moons with Remus. I ended up registering myself with the Ministry after James died though. It just felt like it was time. Remus was my boyfriend at the time, you see, so I wanted to do it for him. Sirius actually convinced me to do it. I had tried a few years before that but I stopped in the middle of the process. I'm sorry that I interrupted your time with Sirius, I saw you enter the woods from my house and I recognized Sirius as soon as I saw him. I had to come say hello."

"You dated Lupin before he worked at Hogwarts?" Gasped Ron, it seemed to be the only thing he heard me say. I guess Lyanna and Bradley aren't as close with Ron as I thought they were. I figured they would have told him this already.

"I did, yes, while we were in school, and about a year after we had finished. We nearly rekindled things last year but it ended up not working out."

"Don't let her fool you," said Sirius, "they're soulmates. Never seen a couple more perfect for each other. Remus is just too stubborn to see it. He thinks he's undeserving of love because of his condition." Sirius then changed the subject quickly, "How are the twins, Ellie?"

"Oh they're great, top students as they've always been."

Sirius smiled at this information. "I wish I could see them again."

"They would love you, I know they would. Well, I should be off. I know you shouldn't be out like this for a long time. I'll let you have your visit. I just had to come say hello."

"Of course," he says, nodding, and we hugged one more time before he said, "it was nice to see you, Ellie. I'm glad the twins are doing good, and your new baby. I hope I get to meet her soon."

"Me too, Sirius, you're welcome to use my house while you're in Hogsmeade. But I reckon Buckbeak might be a but of a giveaway."

"Yes he might be," Sirius admits. "I appreciate it Ellie, but I'm afraid I might not be able to as long as I have him with me."

"It's alright, Sirius, you stay safe out there. You stop by before you leave town and I will send you off with some food."

He smiles and says, "Will do, Ellie, thank you."

I headed back to my house then, I didn't like to think of Sirius on the run. I didn't like it at all. I didn't have enough time to think about that though because when I got home I saw a sight I wasn't expecting to see. My daughter was sitting on the couch, next to Remus who was holding baby Lily. They both looked up at me when they heard me enter the house.

"Hello Eloise," said Remus.

"Mum," said Lyanna, standing up. Bradley was in the kitchen, getting something to eat. He stopped what he was doing and stared.

"Lyanna Marlene McKinnon. A word, please?" I say my tone is kind of hard with her. 

Lyanna started explaining as soon as my bedroom door was closed. "He just showed up. Said he wanted to see his daughter. Saying he wanted to talk to you, and that he made a mistake."

"I can't believe you just let him hold Lily. He doesn't just get to show up and say he wants to see his daughter and get what he wants."

"Lily was screaming her head off and Remus was the only one who could calm her after you left. I'm sorry but it was nice not to hear her scream."

I sigh, rubbing my eyes, "Fine. Tell him to come in here if he wants to talk to me. I'll wait here."

She didn't say anything else, and I heard her footsteps into the living room. A moment later I heard more footsteps, and Remus was in my room. He closed the door. "I'm sorry for dropping in," he said, quickly, before I could say anything, "I admit I was worried that if I wrote to you that you'd just tell me off."

"Who's to say that I won't tell you off now in person?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Because you're going to be able to tell by looking at me that I am serious. I made such a big mistake. I made a decision based on my own fear, not thinking about what our daughter needs. I have regretted it since I did it, Ellie."

"I raised two babies already and I can handle a third alone," I said, my tone sharp.

"But you don't have to, because I would love to be in her life. Just one look at her and I fell in love. She's absolutely perfect. I can't believe I already missed so much. I want to make things right. Please, Ellie, let me make this right."

Tears were threatening to leak out of my eyes at his words. I couldn't help it, my hormones are still all over the place. "You get one more chance," I tell him, my voice cracking, "If you change your mind again I will never let you anywhere near her ever again."

"I wouldn't blame you, but she's not the only person who's life I want to be part of. Do you think that maybe we could try again? Just one more time. If it doesn't work, you can kick me out of your life for good."

I wiped my eyes, "I think we should just start with you being in Lily's life first, and then we'll talk about us later, okay?"

"Okay," he says, nodding. "Thank you, Ellie." He hugs me then, a long, warm hug. I can't help but melt into it.

"You're welcome, Remus, but I swear this is the only second chance you're getting from me. You need to really prove yourself to me, Remus."

"I will," he assures me. "I promise you that I will."

__________________________
Here's part 41!

So at first I wanted them to have a boy, but then I thought of Remus with a baby girl and I couldn't resist it.

I can just imagine how cute he's going to be with her.

-Emily Winchester.