93. a new life

Clarke had joined us in the late afternoon, her and Picasso the dog making a much anticipated arrival. 

I had smiled at the sight of the dog, giving Bellamy a raised-brow look as he simply laughed. Looks like I got my dog. 

The whole reason all of us had decided life was for Clarke, for each other. And the look on her face when she saw the group of us had been one of pure shock. 

But for the rest of us, it had been an easy decision. For me, it was the easiest I had ever made. Because I knew that this life was where I wanted to be. 

I wanted to be surrounded by my best friends- my family- and I wanted to spend my life with Bellamy. I knew that this life meant an end brought by death, but I also knew that death meant a new beginning in another life- a life that contained my brother. 

Finn weighed heavy on my mind that night as darkness fell across the water in front of me. The moon casted a bright white light, illuminating the dark night.

I sat alone, my knees pulled to my chest as I watched the waves quietly lap in front of me. Loud chatter could be heard from where the others sat crowded around a camp fire.

This felt like the first time since the Ring that I truly had a minute to sit and think about everything that had happened. For once, I was hopeful that I could wake up the next morning and not be fearful for my life or for the others'.

My brother would have loved this life...I think this is always what he wanted. To be surrounded by friends and family, to live in peace. 

Footsteps sounded from behind me, breaking my from my thoughts and causing me to sit up a bit straighter. 

I knew who it was before she even spoke. I had been expecting this all night. 

"Can we talk?" 

Clarke stood over me, watching me with a nervous expression. She didn't know where the two of us stood, quite frankly neither did I. 

Bellamy was alive. She hadn't taken the most important person from me. But she had still tried to. She had tried and she had failed. Did that make it any better?

My eyes locked with hers, and I gave a small nod while shifting slightly to allow her to sit down next to me. 

A shuddered breath fell from her lips as she lowered herself onto the sand, her eyes briefly dancing up to the stars. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

I resisted a scoff. "I know you didn't come down here to talk about how beautiful it is, Clarke."

She tore her eyes from the sky, looking down as her shoulder heaved another sigh. "You're right. I didn't." Her demeanour shifted as she brought herself to look at me. "I don't think I can ever tell you how sorry I am" She began, her eyes full of sadness. 

I shifted my gaze to the sky, giving a small shake of my head. "It's not me you need to apologize to. I'm not the one you tried to kill."

Without looking directly at her, I could see the look on Clarke's face. It was one of regret, self-loathing, one of guilt. "I know." She agreed. "But I hurt you too. And I've done it before."

Turning, I looked at her once again, my face set in stone. She had done it before. Clarke had hurt me again and again. She had killed my brother, sent Bellamy into Mount Weather, left us all, tied me up in Becca's lab, locked me out of the bunker...the list went on and on. But I had decided to stay here- partly for her and partly for myself and the others. Bellamy had done the same, he refused to leave her even after all she had done to him. Maybe we were the real fools.