Thirty-Three

I stepped into the dining room without a hair out of place Cindy and Nicole took their jobs very seriously.

The day held a gloomy overcast to it. The windows opened to a dreary grey sky, seeming only moments away from pouring sheets of rain. Despite the gloomy weather, I felt better and more refreshed than I could remember in years. I felt better than I thought I ever would with the stressful act I had to put on. While I thought the next few days would be spent in fear of making a wrong move, I had been told not to show for dinner last night and to make sure I wasn't seen by anyone. I was more than ecstatic when I heard the order. I preferred staying in the confines of my room. Given the opportunity, I had gone to bed early last night and awoke this morning more well-rested than I could have imagined.

"Lady Riar!"

I easily smiled at Lady June, Mia as she asked me to call her, as she waved at me from across the room. She became an unexpected friend during the time we spent together the previous day. She kept me company and helped keep the snarkier ladies in check when they made sly comments about how I handled my men and home. They criticized everything from the way I sat and dressed to the lack of intimacy they could sense between me and my husbands. Knowing what to expect now, I was better equipped to face their attention. Well, everyone but Lady Crane. Lady Crane was frightening, her being disgruntled due to yesterday's exchange didn't help.

I was about to head over to meet Mia as she talked to another woman, Lady Rose, but a presence at my side had me pausing.

"Stay by one of our sides," Jaxon said as he placed my hand in the crook of his elbow. He smirked down at me. The look sent chills down my spine. "Oh, and do try to put on a good show, slave," he said only loud enough that I would hear. "Some of the guests weren't too convinced yesterday."

My smile suddenly felt more strained.

Pulling me by my grip on his arm, he headed towards the end of the table where Mia and Lady Rose sat eating breakfast. We walked past Ezra and Zev who were engaged in conversation with Mia's husbands across from the ladies on the way. The former had a strained smile as his eyes tracked me and Jaxon as we walked to the opposite side across from them.

I had to remind myself to ask him if the picture was ready yet. Maybe giving it to Jaxon and easing his anger somewhat would reduce the paralyzing fear he sent rushing through my bloodstream. If only I had the chance to do it before he had snatched me by the arm and kept me close by his side.

"Good morning, ladies!" Jaxon said, bowing slightly with his hand over his heart. "You look as lovely as ever this morning!"

Lady Rose flushed at the compliment, while Mia smiled politely.

"Thank you, Lord Jaxon, but you should save your sweet words for your wife, you'll need them one day when the honeymoon phase has worn off," Mai responded with a laugh.

I was about to take an empty seat next to Mia but didn't make it. I found myself being pulled off my feet and onto Jaxon's lap. 

He wrapped an arm around my waist to hold me in place and smirked at me, knowing I couldn't fight against his hold without causing a scene and raising questions. "I don't need words to get my wife to forgive me," he said pressing his lips to the skin on my neck. "I think she actually prefers it when I use other methods that don't require words, don't you, princess?"

I weakly smiled as a reply, too busy pushing away Jaxon's wandering hand. I should have worn pants instead of a dress.

 "After all, it isn't polite to speak with your mouth full."

My face flushed beet red as the women started laughing and jesting.

"Are you excited for the party tomorrow night, Lady Riar?" Lady Rose asked as she stirred sugar into her coffee.