chapter 00 → the soulmarks

The enigma of "soulmates" has since the birth of recorded history, and most likely even longer than that. Despite the concept's mostly unscientific existence, soulmates are just one of those things that people have never questioned and they likely never will.

Oh sure, some scientists have theorized that our soulmates are the ones who share our original atoms and that is why we feel so connected and drawn to them in an instant. However, while this is an impressive theory, most people agree that it just doesn't matter what kind of science is behind the mystery of soulmates. We could break love into all its component forms and it still wouldn't add up to the warmth of a hug or the comfort of a hand to hold.

So, how do soulmates work? Well it's quite simple: from the moment of birth a symbol shall be visible on the back of a person's neck, representing themselves. And then, once that person reaches the age of ten, the symbols representative of their soulmate shall appear on the underside of their forearm, appearing like a black tattoo. These tattoos shall remain black until that person lays eyes on their soulmate, that is when the soulmark will bloom into a beautiful color, shimmering and glowing ever so slightly in the dark.

Well, with all this in mind, what surprise awaited you, a young (y/n) (l/n), and your family the day you turned ten years old?

Six.

Six soulmarks came into view on the night of your tenth birthday, decorating the underside of your forearm with the symbols of your soulmates.

One, a crown adorned with priceless gems, fit for a king.

One, a shimmering sword, the blade sharp and precise.

One, conjoined wedding rings, if you looked close enough it even looked like there were words ingrained into them.

One, a palace, the walls built from a sturdy stone material.

One, a rose in full bloom, a petal or two falling down beside the thistles.

One, a pen, freshly dipped in ink, the dark material dripping from the tip.

Of course you being an excitable young girl, the moment those soulmarks came into view you ran as fast as your little legs could carry you to your parents, eagerly showing off all six tattoos. They were so pretty! Mom and Dad were going to be so excited!

In fact, they were so excited that Dad fainted!

After a little while of explaining(and calming down your panicking father), you learned that the notion of anyone having more than one soulmark was extremely rare. You didn't really get what that meant, but what you did understand was that when you would go into school on Monday, you would keep this secret so as to not stir jealousy amongst your classmates.

And you intended to make good on your promise, only revealing the first tattoo closest to your wrist, till a kid made a snide remark about the mark being ugly.

What were you supposed to do? Not shut him up?

As your parents predicted, the other kids went into an uproar. Some were excited about the multitude of soul marks, but most were jealous of the fact that you had six while they had one.

You received a real scolding when your parents inevitably found out, but in your opinion it was totally worth it.

Over the years, you grew and matured into a stoic yet kind young lady, and with that time came a more...nuanced opinion on your soul marks. You came to understand the nature of polyamory and how complicated such a large relationship could be. After all, who's to say that any of your soulmates were soulmates to each other or would even like each other?

In the end you accepted that there was a very real chance that you may not end up in a proper romantic relationship with any of your soulmates, and that's okay. As long as you had your close friends and supportive family, you would be happy.

But secretly, a small, selfish little part of you hoped you would be able to have a close relationship with each of them.

★°・○。

A/N: I like you guys *de-angsts your (y/n)*