Chapter 27

"Ninja, go!" Y/n and Lloyd say, using Spinjitzu on Nindroids before attempting to reach an armor that disappears.

"You got closer than I thought you would. But then again, I didn't think you'd be quite so rough on my security droids," Cyrus says.

"If we can't steal the Golden Armor, I'd be surprised if anyone else could. It's secure, but where is the real one?" Lloyd asks.

"Some secrets are best kept safe," Cyrus replies.

"Where are the other Ninja? I asked for all of you to take part in this test," Wu says.

"About that..." Y/n says. "They said they had other plans."

"I understand perfectly well. The loss of Zane has affected us all. I haven't even heard word from my assistant Pixal since his memorial. It's heartbreaking," Cyrus says.

"If we dwell too long on what's missing, we fail to see what can be gained. The absence of Zane will either tear you five apart, or bring you closer together. The choice is yours," Wu says.

"We'll do what we can," Lloyd promises. "But it won't be easy."

"The greatest lessons never are."

"Most Ultimate Extreme Ninja Challenge Ever!" The crowd yells.

"I'm Jay, Ninjago's most lovable Ninja, here before the Gauntlet of Humility to see who will be Ninjago's next hero, and whose dreams will be gone, in a flash!" Jay declares, using his powers to reach a platform. "I'm here with Cathy, tireless mother of four, pillar of the PTA, and returning contestant. Tell me, Cathy, after being humbled by the Gauntlet the first time, what makes you think this'll be any different?"

"Because Ninja never quit!" She responds.

Jay laughs. "Okay, Cathy. Start the doomsday clock!"

A while later, an obstacle gets the best of her. "Heh, I got farther than last time!"

After the show, Jay goes backstage. "Ninja never quit, huh, Zane?"

"The team needs you now more than ever," Lloyd scares, scaring the daylights out of the Lightning Ninja as he turns around and gasps.

"How did you two get in here?"

"We're ninjas," Y/n says.

"And you are wearing makeup," Lloyd adds.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey. It's concealer, a time-honored tool of the Ninja. And what do you mean 'team?' I refuse to fight beside Cole. There's nothing you can say that will get me back with that girl-stealing, black-hearted, rock-pounding—"

"You know Nya talks about you just about every day, right?" Y/n asks.

"You don't belong here, Jay," Lloyd says. "This isn't you. You're the Master of Lightning, not the Master of Lighting. You know where we'll be if you change your mind," He adds before they leave hand-in-hand.

"Hey, big bro. The team needs you," Y/n says, hanging upside down off a tree branch.

"I thought I was good with a scythe," The Earth Ninja grunts. "Turns out, I'm even better with an ax. Ugh, I'm tired of fighting. Tired of Serpentine, tired of Nindroids, tired of...Jay. Out here, no one knows who you are. No one expects anything of you."

"But what would Zane expect? You're the Master of Earth, Cole. you don't belong in trees. Your feet should be on the ground. You can't hide who you are," Lloyd says.

"Sorry, Green and Purple machines, this is my life now."

"Oh, oh, cracked stem! She's falling hard!" A worker yells as logs start rolling down.