❁ 17 ❁

It was a success. I found an address under the name of Oleander Cho. Now, all we needed to do was hope it was the right one.

Because Angel's mother tracked everything he did, including where he sent mail to, I was the one who had to send it. I kissed it for good luck and threw it into the bin filled with the other mail. I wasn't entirely sure how long it would take to arrive, but I hope it would soon.

The spring semester finally began. Things went on as usual in the first couple of weeks. I would occasionally see Angel every now and then—he seemed extremely busy—being in three clubs plus his responsibilities as student council president. He sometimes wouldn't get back to the dorm until very late at night. It worried me. I wondered if he had been eating properly.

It wasn't until February that I was suddenly piled with news of a science competition the school hosted every other year against our rival school, Blue Lake Girls Academy.

"It gets brutal," Tulip informed me. We had just sat down for lunch in the cafeteria. It had been too cold to sit outside for the time being.

"Brutal how?" I replied, afraid of the answer.

"Like 'the girls are fighting' brutal."

I sheepishly smiled. It's a joke... at least, I hope it is.

"Don't listen to her, she's exaggerating." Iris gave an amused sigh.

"Oh no, she's completely right."

We all turned to Angel. His comment had caught us off guard. No one else dared to question him other than me, "W-What do you mean by that?"

The edge of his lips curved up as if he had been waiting for someone to ask. "Well, there's one girl in particular that gets especially competitive. I won't say who, though."

There was no way that people would get into actual physical fights, yet for some reason, I believed him.

"Will you all be competing this year?" Poppy pondered aloud.

Everyone nodded in response. Tulip, Iris, and I would be competing in biology, while Angel would be competing in physics because of course he would be.

"I'll be sure to cheer all of you on then!" She smiled, her eyes locking onto Angel's in which she suddenly blushed and then turned away. Hmm, curious.

Nevertheless, I was eager to meet the other girls from the academy. They couldn't be that bad, right?

Unfortunately, in my midst of misfortunes, I was wrong.

We spent countless hours setting up the gym for the competition. It was mandatory for every member of each science club to participate. There were a total of five clubs: chemistry, physics, astronomy, biology, and computer science. Like the sports festival, each club had a specific time slot in which they would compete. Teachers would read questions aloud and whoever answered correctly first would receive a point. In the end, whoever had the most points won.

This seemed to me like it would be a lot of fun. I was much better at science than I was at sports. However, the atmosphere quickly shifted when the girls from Blue Lake arrived.

They all carried this menacing confidence with them—walking as if they were the rulers of the world. They sported a blue and black uniform, in contrast to our crimson and white. One girl, in particular, caught my eye. She was about the same height as me, wore cherry red glasses, and branded a long braid that reached her lower back. Her confidence was blinding as she strode into the gym.

I was further away from the rest of the girls from my school—they were all too busy glaring the others down. It was to my surprise when Angel walked up to me.