Chapter Eleven: Opening Night

**********************"Is anyone home?" I shout, shutting the door behind me

"Is anyone home?" I shout, shutting the door behind me.

"In here." Damian shouts back from the kitchen.

"Guys," I start, walking in.

They are all dressed up; with Kat rocking a sky blue, tulle-mini gown, and Damian sporting a long sleeve, navy blue button down, finished with light gray dress-pants.

However, the moment I saw my dad's warm smile, I was overcome with admiration and was unable to continue speaking. He is wearing a black tie, dark gray suit.

"Dad!" I beam after a gasp, embracing him in a big hug.

He snickers, holding me tightly, and twirling me in the hug. "Blanche! I'm so proud of you!"

I cringed hearing my birth name, but brushed it off with a shake of my head and wide grin.

"It's Bianca now," Damian reminds, matching our cheerful tones. However, I know it bothers my brother, just as much as me, because it serves as a reminder of how absent our father has been.

"You inspire me!" I spoke louder; at the same time.

Dad huffs in admiration, smiling wide, "And you're making me so proud every day. Thank you for always sending me updates."

I had been texting him updates, but I didn't receive a response, so assuming he was doing one of his regular phone cleanses, I stopped.

Shock crosses my face, "You got the messages!?" completely stunned.

My brother had to turn his head, furious that our father had read the updates I was eager to send, but did not answer. With anguish on her face in contrast to his anger, Kat clasped Damian's hand to soothe him.

"I did, I did." Dad assures, nodding, before bringing me into another hug.

Suddenly, I noticed dessert on the table, and my eyes lit up again, pulling away, "Cake?" I question, approaching the table, where I find an ice cream cake covered in red frosting with words that read: "Happy Opening Night!"

This snapped my brother out of it, as he motioned to the cake with a proud smile.

"You guys!" I admire, eyes soft.

"We're so proud of you." Kat beams.

"Hey," Damian starts, "I spent all of Thursday night researching theater slang, all so Kat could tell me that we're telling the people to put "Happy Opening Night!" He playfully scoffs and rolls his eyes.

I chuckle gently as confusion crosses my face, "What else did you want it to say?"

"What's what I said!" Kat protests.

"Uh," Damian acts as if it were obvious, with his hands up in surrender, "Break a leg!"

I playfully shake my head in shame, "Thank you guys, either way. This truly means everything to me." I grin.