Chapter 10.5 (Part 1)

His sister seemed happier than Tyler had ever seen her. She looked both beautiful and relaxed, he decided. Less driven than she had been only a couple of years ago. Losing her job with a stuffy old legal firm, meeting her unpredictable P.I. husband, starting her own two-person law firm, having her first child—all the changes had combined to make her look happy, contented and fulfilled.

   Tyler was happy for her.

   Sarah's home was filled with the cheerful noise of family—adults laughing, children babbling, babies fussing. In addition to Tyler, his children and his parents, Sally and her family were there. Everyone wanted to celebrate the newest addition to the Hamilton family—even if this one's last name was Fort.

   When the boys grew restless, Sally and Dave volunteered to take them it for ice cream. They took any, too, leaving Tyler and his parents to visit with Sarah and Jake.

   Debbie fretted a bit that little Madison had been exposed to so many people that day, but Sarah pointed out that the baby might as well get used to being surrounded by family. As fast at the Hamilton clan was growing, there were many noisy gatherings ahead.

   "I only wish Brent could be here," she added. "Did everyone see the beautiful Rowe's he sent me? And the ridiculous big teddy bear he included for the baby?"

   More family talk followed. Then Sarah turned to Tyler. "Anything new going on in your life lately?"

   Glancing suspiciously at his suddenly innocent-looking mother, Tyler replied, "Not much."

   Sarah gave him her patented big-sister grin. "No new ladies in your life?"

   Debbie, Tyler noted, did everything but look up at the ceiling and whistle to distance herself from this particular topic. "What did Mom tell you?" He asked fatalistically.

   "Only that you've been spending a lot of time lately with Jane Doherty."

   What the he'll. "She sends her regards to you and Jake."

   "How sweet. Please send mine in return."

   "Yes, of course," he answered dryly, preparing to be interrogated.

   "I've seen her on TV, Jake commented, looking up from little Madison cradled so securely in his strong arms. "She'd certainly attractive."

   "Jake'e a soap opera buff," Sarah explained with a chuckle. "He saw Jane when she played a visiting vixen on one of his soaps."

   "She was good, too," Jake added equably. "She almost broke up Kirk and Miller on Private Lives, and their marriage had survived numerous other near disasters. Then Jane—her name was Felomina on the show—died in a suspicious skydiving accu. Her body was never recovered, though, so there's always a chance she could come back."

   Tyler didn't particularly like hearing that. He didn't take time to analyze the reason—probably because he already knew. "I'm sorry I missed her performances."

   "It must have been so exciting living in New York," Sarah mused. "I wonder why she moved back to Honoria."

   "Her aunt Helen thinks she was getting exhausted from the hectic pace there," Debbie commented, rejoining the conversation. "Jane's a small-town girl at heart. Once she'd had her fill of the big city, she was ready to return to her roots. Like Tyler."

   "You don't think it had anything to do with that scandal that made all the tabloids?" Sarah asked.

   The silence that followed her casual comment was a heavy one.

   Sarah cleared her throat. "I take it none of you heard about that?"

   "What scandal?" Debbie demanded.

   "Way to go, Sarah," Jake murmured.

   She sent her husband a frown. "I just assumed they'd heard. As busy as the rumor mill is in Honoria, I would have thought they'd have discussed Jane."

   "There was a lot to talk when she first moved back," Debbie said. "Folks started going on about her parents again, and speculating what her life must have been like in New York. Wondering how she would work out as a teacher and placing bets on how long she would stay. But no one said anything about her being involved in a scandal."