05

JIMIN HAD A few stops before they got to the bookstall, and Tahani knew she was going to get an earful from Rowan back in the carriage for making her carry the bread

JIMIN HAD A few stops before they got to the bookstall, and Tahani knew she was going to get an earful from Rowan back in the carriage for making her carry the bread. She didn't mind one bit.

"Do you two live far?" he asked now, having delivered food to about five houses already. Tahani noticed the way all the villagers treated Jimin. Utmost respect mixed with adoration and gratitude, pinching his cheek and fluffing his hair, they accepted the baking delights with such pleasant attitudes. She wondered how caring of a person he was to be welcomed with so many open arms.

"Yeah," Rowan replied when Tahani didn't, "We live pretty far. Don't really come here much. Tani and I usually stay in the pa-house all the time."

"Tani?" Jimin inquired, and the girl in question turned to him.

"Hmm?"

"Tani." Rowan pointed her chin at her sister, and Jimin formed an 'O' with his mouth.

"The next hou—" he cut himself off when his eyes caught sight of something behind them.

They both turned as well, only to see an old man in the distance, hobbling over his feet as he pushed a wheelbarrow of vegetables up the hilly terrain. The girls flinched as he did, ready to drop the crates of bread to rush across to help. But before they could, Jimin's figure had already zoomed past, jogging over to him.

"Grandpa," they heard him scold the man, "Grandpa, I told you not to carry all this stuff anymore! You're really going to break your back."

The elder smiled with gratitude, shaking his head, "I'm really fine, son."

Jimin didn't take that as a response, taking the handles of the wagon and hauling it up the slope himself. "I'm going to give Khaleb an earful," he told the man, "I made him promise not to allow you to overexert yourself anymore."

The man chuckled then, patting Jimin's cheek, "It's his one day off, I swear. Tomorrow it will be back to him breaking his back."

"Promise?" he asked, bringing his pinkie for the elder to wrap his own around.

"I promise, buddy. Now, don't leave those gorgeous ladies waiting too long," a wink accompanied that last bit.

"Okay, but I'll see you again soon, alright? I'll visit tomorrow."

"Of course," he said once more before the girls saw Jimin nodding, finally turning and hopping back over to them.

"Sorry," he panted slightly, "Sorry, where were we?"

"Heading to the next house."

"Ah, yes," he reached for the crate Tahani was holding and took it in his own hands, "We can switch now; my basket's almost empty."

"Wait—" she let out as he took it, "Wait. I can carry that."

"I know, I know," he shook his head, "That doesn't mean I'll let you. C'mon, if you want your sister to get to the book store before sunset, we're going to have to keep going."