22. A New Proposition

The afternoon has quickly turned to night and the ball is  already on. My heart has been pumping out of my chest the whole carriage ride to tonight's event.

I don't know weather Matilda made my corset too tight or if I truly am this nervous about dancing with the Viscount in public. Usually I would be ecstatic with the opportunity to dance with him, I have been dreaming about him for so long, but I just can't imagine hurting Eloise. Dancing with her brother tonight will stab her heart out. But like Anthony said, what she doesn't know won't kill her. If she truly isn't here tonight what's the harm. Plus I need to figure out a way to pose the idea to Ryder, I cannot do anything without his approval.

   Trying to clear my mind along with my worries I try to return to my usually pre ball mindset. To complete this I swiftly pat down my purple dress for the evening before elegantly stepping from the carriage, ready with my perfect smile and emotion.

  I pay no attention to my worries as they all seem to dissolve away in the pools of pressure that comes with the ton's hungry eyes. Continuing my diamond act I smile and curtesy at every man's attempt to woo me as I aimlessly search the crowd for the Bridgerton's, Ryder following close behind.

  I know Anthony promised me that he would find a way to keep Eloise at home but a part of me still is on high alert incase our plan falls short. Politely declining a few dance offers I continue into the venue shocked by the estates beauty. And with a turn to the courtyard where the crowds seem to be their strongest my eyes meet the one and only Anthony Bridgerton, this time alone, no Eloise or Daphne in sight to sour the moment.

Trying to buy myself time or more attention I simply turn to Ryder for a conversation, in a way trying to avoid the dance with Anthony as second thoughts of betrayal swarm my mind.

"Ryder, tell me... how did you and Anna wed?" I ask the only question I can think of to kill time while still appearing perfectly occupied to the outside world of gazing eyes.

"What? Why are you asking now?" Ryder replies surprise in his voice.

"I just need a distraction. Some time to keep occupied. Talking to you seems like the perfect void. So how did you two come to be? I know if was obviously during the season but I was still so young and naïve, i've never heard the whole story," I rant smiling politely at the guest who pass my way, still keeping my nervous but proper eyes on the Viscount who hasn't seemed to notice me quite yet.

"Well are you sure this is the proper setting for such a story?" Ryder then asks finding any way he can to swerve the question.

"Well in a way I see no place that could possibly be more proper. I mean, if I am to find love, or a partner who will love me enough, how shall I do so without knowing how you and Anna came to be. I guess I'm confused and overwhelmed, your story might heal my nerves,"

"I will not be telling the whole story here, you can wait to ask Anna for the rest when we return home. But for now all I will say is that when I saw Anna I fell in love with her beauty at first. She was a ray of sunshine amongst the fog of the other women. Then we got to talking and I felt as though conversation was enlightening and fun, not a chore as it has been with other women in the past,"

"What if I feel strongly about a man already? I know it's early and I know I appear naïve but like you mentioned conversation comes east with him-"

"And who are you talking of?" Ryder interrupts, "A man Father or I have approved I may hope,"

"Yes... and that's the complicated part. I am talking of Lord Bridgerton," I whisper scared to hear Ryder's reply.

  "Viscount Bridgerton? The man that has hurt you in the past? The man you claimed that would never be interested in loving you just over a week ago?"